Solution

It works too, it covers all the CPU, but you'll have to make a very thin layer of thermal compound (Instead of the tiny dot in the center of the CPU that I think the dot its better you only have to put the right amount of thermal paste and secure the heatsink correctly, very easy)

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Remove the thermal paste in both, CPU and Heatsink, then proceed to reapply the thermal paste with a little dot in the center of the CPU and then place the heatsink above the CPU to spread the paste, and then secure the Heatsink.

The thermal paste is going to be in both surfaces, that's how it works.

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I'm not sure i understand the question. For proper function, thermal paste needs to be on both the top of the CPU and bottom of the heatsink. Sure you can remove the paste from the heatsink, but it will re-apply itself once you screw the heatsink back on top of the CPU.

When you remove paste, remove it from BOTH the cooler and the cpu.
Alcohol and a lint free paper such as a coffee filter will do the job.

When you reapply, put only a small drop on one surface.
It will spread under heat and pressure.
A common mistake is to apply too much where it will act as an insulator.

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Okay got it, but what do you think of the card trick?

Adding both thermals to the heatsink and CPU will actually increase the temperature not lower.

Okay thanks and what do you think of the card trick?

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

It works too, it covers all the CPU, but you'll have to make a very thin layer of thermal compound (Instead of the tiny dot in the center of the CPU that I think the dot its better you only have to put the right amount of thermal paste and secure the heatsink correctly, very easy)

Solution