Question Thermal paste

Aug 20, 2018
Hey, so my sister accidentally smudged my thermal paste on my cpu fan slightly when she took it out, im wondering, do i need to re-apply new past cuz of this or will be the initial paste still be fine? i have some thermal paste at home but im not sure whether it's necessary, i can provide pictures if required (ik thats a stupid statement cuz obviously pics would help) but not until i get home.

RealBeast

Titan
I usually reapply paste when I remove the heatsink. You want it to be even, smooth and a thin layer. Any uneven areas can result in air bubbles trapped in the paste after the heatsink goes back on.

To decide just take a look at it to see if it looks like it still has a smooth, even thin layer. If not clean it off and reapply.

Why is she removing the heatsink in the first place?

Aug 20, 2018
I usually reapply paste when I remove the heatsink. You want it to be even, smooth and a thin layer. Any uneven areas can result in air bubbles trapped in the paste after the heatsink goes back on.

To decide just take a look at it to see if it looks like it still has a smooth, even thin layer. If not clean it off and reapply.

Why is she removing the heatsink in the first place?

no it was a new cpu fresh out the box, she took out the parts

Anyway i've put the pc together now and it's running, idk how the temp looks yet as i haven't installed the software and started using it yet but i think imma be okay, worst case scenario the temp is pretty high and i just pull it apart and reapply paste :) thanks!