[SOLVED] Thermal paste

Mar 19, 2020
I'm a newbie and building only my second computer. I bought an Athlon processor and it came with a fan. I installed both, started computer, nothing happened. I reseated RAM and still nothing, so I removed the CPU fan, reseated the processor and the fan to see if that might be the problem. Yes, the BIOS did come up then. But now I'm wondering, in pulling up the CPU fan and reseating it, did I mess up the thermal paste seal. Do I need to do something about that or should it be fine?

Solution
Yes by removing the CPU cooler/fan from the CPU you have messed up the thermal paste seal. Always be prepared to clean off and re-apply new thermal paste if you choose to remove a heatsink from any chip. It most likely will work fine just your processor will run hotter since there are now most likely air bubbles or gaps between the CPU and the cooler.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Yes by removing the CPU cooler/fan from the CPU you have messed up the thermal paste seal. Always be prepared to clean off and re-apply new thermal paste if you choose to remove a heatsink from any chip. It most likely will work fine just your processor will run hotter since there are now most likely air bubbles or gaps between the CPU and the cooler.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution