Thermal paste

dylanrush

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I bought some AS 5 and a new fan that has thermal paste already on it. Should I clean the thermal paste off the fan and then apply the AS 5, or should I just mush it all together into one blob of thermal paste?

Scribs

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Definitly clean it. Clean it with...rubbing alcohol i think? Google the procedure, or look at your HS manufacturer, they generally have a recommended procedure.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
either use the heatsink paste or clean it off and use the ac5
it doesnt matter either way

dont mix them together.

if you use the ac5 look at the amount of paste that is on the
heatsink that you have now and apply the same amount

it doesnt take much

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Eventhough i've never use AS5, they have good reports....but remember, for sake of safetiness, never mix any thermal with thermal pad, or thermal paste-thermal paste, even if it's the same thing you appplied after some while.it doesn't hurt to clean it right? :wink:

I bought some AS 5 and a new fan that has thermal paste already on it. Should I clean the thermal paste off the fan and then apply the AS 5, or should I just mush it all together into one blob of thermal paste?
Clean both with alcohol. Using both gels is a waste of the better heat transfering gel. All the gel you should use is enough to fill the tiny microscopic imperfections in top of the cpu and the face of the heatsink. Use as little gel as possible as the heatsink with gel already has more than you really want. Please dont think more gel is better as no gel is as good as the heatsink. Gel should only be used to fill the small imperfections and the thinnest layer you can make is the best.

microgiant

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Some of those heatsinks use a HUGE amount of thermal compound becuse they dont know how well the 2 surfaces are going to mate up. You may not need as much as they use. You dont want to use too much. With new CPUs you just put a rice grain size lump on the cpu then put the cooler on and let it squish the paste in place.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Use the forums SEARCH button and find my post on how to clean CUP/COOLER and proper way to apply TIM (HS stuff). Follow my guide and even the cheap white paste will give you about the same temps as the so called "best" stuff.

A $1 pack of cheap stuff is enough for up to 10 CPU's!