[SOLVED] Thermal pastes and tinting CPU

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I am currently trying to finish a really budget build for old, (stress old), gaming, and general use. I have not installed a CPU in quite a while so have some questions.
I am working with an FX 4300 CPU, and and AMD cooler with copper piping.. most likely came with one of the FX CPU's back in the day. Both were purchased used, and the CPU came with some gold colored thermal paste with no hint of maufacturer.
I cleaned the 4300 with alcohol and tinted it with the gold paste. I went to go ahead and apply same paste to the CPU and install heatsink. Unfortunately there was not enough at all. I ordered some Noctua NT-H1. I dry wiped the CPU numerous times with a clean coffee filter and of course cleaned the heatsink well too. I applied the Noctua paste using the spread method and installed heatsink.
My concern now, after the fact, is should I have completely removed the application of gold paste i used for tinting or safe to have left on.
Thanks for any help/advice.

Solution
It's not recommended to mix different thermal pastes due to their different formulas.

But if the quantity of the golden paste is minimum, you should leave it as is until the next time you repaste the CPU (probably in 2 years or so).
It's not recommended to mix different thermal pastes due to their different formulas.

But if the quantity of the golden paste is minimum, you should leave it as is until the next time you repaste the CPU (probably in 2 years or so).

Solution