[SOLVED] Thermal take 3.0 120mm rpm pump help

Apr 30, 2020
Hello, I was curious on how to adjust the pump rpm for my thermal take 3.0 120mm rgb, I have the pump into cpu fan on the mobo and the radiator fan into sysfan1 I am using a msi b450m gaming plus
And what’s the difference between pwm and dc for my pump? I just want my temps to be cooled down and my pump working correctly I read on here if your pump has low rpms it can cause overheating and according to hw monitor it says my cpufan1 is at 1300rpm the max it can go to 3000rpm according to thermal takes specs
https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/water-3-0-120-argb-sync.html

I have my pump set to dc mode and my radiator fan on pwm

Solution
This system is designed to operate this way. The PUMP should always receive a full 12 VDC power supply so it can run full speed all the time. The 4-pin rad FAN should receive a fan speed control signal set from a mobo header using the new PWM Mode. That header should be using the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip to guide its automatic fan speed control system, and the ONLY header on the mobo that does that is the CPU_FAN header. Net result is that both the PUMP and the FAN need to be connected to the CPU_FAN header, and in a particular way.

Get a 4-pin fan SPLITTER. It has only three connectors on it. One is 4-pin female (with holes) and plugs into the CPU_FAN header. The other two are male (with pins), but only ONE of them...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This system is designed to operate this way. The PUMP should always receive a full 12 VDC power supply so it can run full speed all the time. The 4-pin rad FAN should receive a fan speed control signal set from a mobo header using the new PWM Mode. That header should be using the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip to guide its automatic fan speed control system, and the ONLY header on the mobo that does that is the CPU_FAN header. Net result is that both the PUMP and the FAN need to be connected to the CPU_FAN header, and in a particular way.

Get a 4-pin fan SPLITTER. It has only three connectors on it. One is 4-pin female (with holes) and plugs into the CPU_FAN header. The other two are male (with pins), but only ONE of them will have all 4 pins; the other will be missing Pin #3. Plug the PUMP into the output that HAS all 4 pins, plug the FAN into the output with one pin missing. In BIOS Setup (see manual p. 14) go to the page for the CPU_FAN header. It should already be set to PWM Mode (upper left corner), and if it is, leave it. Otherwise change to that setting. For now I suggest leaving the fan "curve" the way it comes. IF you had to make a change, be sure to go though the Exit Menu and SAVE and Exit.

If you do things this way, here's the result.
  1. The PUMP is wired like a 3-pin fan. When that type or fan (or pump) is plugged into a header using PWM Mode, it always runs full speed with no control - just what the pump should do.
  2. Because the pump is plugged into the Splitter output with ALL 4 pins, its speed will be sent back to the CPU_FAN header. But the speed of the rad fan will never be reported anywhere, and you will never "see" it. Now, the CPU_FAN header monitors its device carefully for FAILURE (indicated by low or no device speed), and in this AIO system the most critical part is the PUMP, so this ensures that the pump is the item monitored for failure. Your system could survive a rad FAN failure (but you need to check it from time to time) as long as the pump is circulating fluid through the rad. FAN failure would only cause a slow CPU heating until other limiting systems slowed your system or shut it down with a good warning first.
  3. The 4-pin rad FAN WILL respond to the PWM speed control signal even though its speed is not reported to the mobo header. Control of CPU cooling according to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip will be done automatically by altering the rad fan speed.

Any case fan you have should be connected to the SYS_FAN headers which are guided by a different temperature sensor on the mobo.

Solution