[SOLVED] Thermal Throttling - a new perspective

Hiya Gang!

I was in the process of updating a public service ssd database I maintain when I discovered a new spin on thermal throttling. Silicon Power just announced their new UD70, PCI-e ssd. This is how Silicon Power advertised thermal throttling:

"Built-in thermal throttling effectively monitors and regulates the temperature to keep it in the normal range for greater system reliability and data integrity."

Technically the statement is fairly accurate. However, I am fairly certain this is the first time that thermal throttling has been used as a marketing tool to present an ssd in a more favorable light. A few years ago when the issue of thermal throttling first surfaced there were a lot of complaints.

Solution
Most M.2 NVMe SSDs have thermal throttling mechanisms since they can overheat if they don't have a decent heatsink on them and/or are being hammered for prolonged periods of time.

popatim

Titan
I wonder if they took a different strategy, perhaps teired throttling to keep the drive in the "zone". Instead of going full tilt until it overheats and performance drops like a rock, Have it reduce performance at different temps. Maybe something like at 75c drop performance to 95%. 80c =75%, 90c=50%, 95c=25% ...

TRENDING THREADS