[SOLVED] Thermal Throttling affecting game performance!! Help please

Souvik Chatterjee

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Specs i5-8250U 2gb 940mx 8gb ram win 10 1tb hdd
This issue started recently when I started facing sudden huge frame rate losses in games like Far Cry 4. Frames dropped from 25 to 10-11. At first I thought it was an issue with the game, but even other games started showing similar symptoms. I am suspecting thermal throttling because when I checked the task manager(during fps drop), the Cpu usage was merely at 34%.
I consulted a few friends who told me that it is possible to alter the thermal throttling settings in BIOS for some motherboards.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards

judging from the laptop having an 8th gen CPU in it i assume this is pretty new so there may not be too much dust in it. you can try using a can of air to blow into the vents to loosen some dust or if the laptop can be opened. other then that look into getting a cooling pad for the laptop.

WildCard999

Titan
Herald
For a laptop your thermal options are a bit limited but you could try cleaning the dust from the system, creating a more aggressive fan curve and even replacing the thermal paste. When gaming I would make sure your on a solid flat surface as that will help hot air escape and if needed possibly using a laptop cooling pad underneath the laptop while gaming.