[SOLVED] Thermal Throttling affecting game performance!! Help please

Souvik Chatterjee

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Specs i5-8250U 2gb 940mx 8gb ram win 10 1tb hdd
This issue started recently when I started facing sudden huge frame rate losses in games like Far Cry 4. Frames dropped from 25 to 10-11. At first I thought it was an issue with the game, but even other games started showing similar symptoms. I am suspecting thermal throttling because when I checked the task manager(during fps drop), the Cpu usage was merely at 34%.
I consulted a few friends who told me that it is possible to alter the thermal throttling settings in BIOS for some motherboards.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards

Solution
For a laptop your thermal options are a bit limited but you could try cleaning the dust from the system, creating a more aggressive fan curve and even replacing the thermal paste. When gaming I would make sure your on a solid flat surface as that will help hot air escape and if needed possibly using a laptop cooling pad underneath the laptop while gaming.
judging from the laptop having an 8th gen CPU in it i assume this is pretty new so there may not be too much dust in it. you can try using a can of air to blow into the vents to loosen some dust or if the laptop can be opened. other then that look into getting a cooling pad for the laptop.

WildCard999

Titan
For a laptop your thermal options are a bit limited but you could try cleaning the dust from the system, creating a more aggressive fan curve and even replacing the thermal paste. When gaming I would make sure your on a solid flat surface as that will help hot air escape and if needed possibly using a laptop cooling pad underneath the laptop while gaming.

Solution