[SOLVED] Thermal Throttling i 9900k

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
i 9900k getting very hot idle temps around 60c average and 80-100 under load. Using a dark rock pro 4 as cooler and getting constant thermal throttling. Have not oc'ed at all any help?

Solution
Dark Rock Pro 4 is rated for something like 200 250 watts, so that is definitely not the issue, with idle temps that high, I'm thinking it's a bad seating or not tightened down all the way.

The thermal paste from Be Quiet is usually of good quality.

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
Have you tried mounting it again encase it’s slightly misaligned and repasted it? Do you have sufficient case airflow?

I haven't remounted it I ordered more higher quality paste that will be here tomorrow so I'm going to realign and redo paste then to see. I figured the paste that came with the dark rock pro 4 would be sufficent and if you think it is I can try that as well, really wanting to get lower temps. As for the case I have 2 front fans and 1 back with the powersupply fan facing down, as thats what it recommended, the case is the TT View 71, the tempered glass may heat it up but I'm not thinking to constant 100c.

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
For a 9900k I’d want more than 2 intake and 1 exhaust fan, it look into more fans. I doubt the fans are the main problem but also it’s probably not helping.
The best HSF is useless without good case airflow - 2 x 120MM front and 1 x 120MM rear (blowing in the same direction, with the fans on the HSF blowing the same direction ...

Not sure that HSF is upto the task - sounds like his 9900K wasn't one of the winners of the silicon lottery. The fact that the temps increase under load tells me it's not a thermal paste issue - but and overall airflow issue. I haven used anything other than Noctua NH-D15 SSO on the Coffee Lake systems I have built.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Dark Rock Pro 4 is rated for something like 200 250 watts, so that is definitely not the issue, with idle temps that high, I'm thinking it's a bad seating or not tightened down all the way.

The thermal paste from Be Quiet is usually of good quality.

Solution

dnoloco

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
I resteated the cooler and applied the be quiet thermal paste and after about an hour of load the highest temps were 84c with an average of around 70-75c. That seemed to fix the problem, still would like a little cooler but around 70c under load is a win for me right now, thanks everyone.

Edit - If anyone has any suggestions for further lowering temps, such as fans or fan placement I'm all ears

Last edited:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
The Arctic P14 PWM can be bought in 5 packs and are very quiet, yet efficient fans.
Combined with Noctua's NA-SAV2 or equivalent, you can have a decently quiet case with more than plenty fans.
Further combined with the Thermaltake Commander FP, so you can control the fans via PWM signal

I'm not much for Unicorn vomit, but hey, we are all different. :D