Thermal Throttling in GTA V.

zarggebius

Prominent
Aug 18, 2018
Hello, I have a problem and my GT 710 2GB DDR3 graphic suffers thermal throttling in GTA V when it reaches approximately 45º and it starts giving me FPS drops, while in other games like Counter Strike: GO reaches 50º and the game it stays fluid and stable, by the way I have the fan of the graphic card 100%, what could I do to solve this? or is there any way to disable the thermal throttling? Thank you so much.

Solution
Good call. I think adding another 4GB will make a big difference in anything you do on that computer. anything more than that would depend on the games requirements etc. Should be very noticeable improvement for not a lot of money.

sonofpern

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018
TL:DR probably not the GPU causing frame rate loss, and if it is then heat probably isnt the issue.

Not an expert here, but I have basically the same card, MSI GT 710 2G3D LP. I don't play GTAV on it, but everything I read says that game lags easily based as much on your CPU, RAM and HDD, so GPU shouldn't be as big an issue unless its to close to max overclock which will cause stability issues differently on different games. If your overclocking the GPU, back it off a little and see if that helps. I can play Just Cause 3 on all low settings and 800X600 resolution if I overclock the card to 1250MHz and juice the VRAM +200MHZ and it gives me near 30FPS and stays under 60C. If I raise the settings nay higher, it gets real hot and real laggy. I don't think the GPU is your issue, maybe do some system cleanup, check any autorun programs you don't need running, make sure your other hardware is up to par for the game and if all else fails, try adding RAM if you aren't already far over the minimum spec. Also, my card suffers residual heat from my CPU so use CPU-Z to check other temps, it may even be your CPU thats lagging AND adding heat to the graphics card as well.

zarggebius

Prominent
Aug 18, 2018

Hello thanks for answering, I do not think it's my CPU that is doing the thermal throttling or the bottle neck, I have an AMD FX-6100 OC to 4.3Ghz, I guess what affects the performance is the RAM, I have 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz, I will soon make a RAM upgrade to know if that is the problem.

sonofpern

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018
Good call. I think adding another 4GB will make a big difference in anything you do on that computer. anything more than that would depend on the games requirements etc. Should be very noticeable improvement for not a lot of money.

Solution