[SOLVED] Thermal throttling on laptop

Mar 30, 2020
Hello my laptop cpu is thermal throttling the temp is 100 degrees celcius. Actually the laptop is not hot but its giving fake temp and the cpu speed decreases while gaming. So any solution?

It’s not a fake temp, it’s going to be right. The cpu is dropping speed as its thermal throttling. Things to try;

1) A clean out of all dust from the cooler. This may mean taking the laptop apart.

2) Replacing the thermal paste on the cpu.

3) If that is a 9th gen i7 you can undervolt by using and older BIOS. A program like ThrottleStop is good for this and there are several guides around if you search. Newer BIOS’s lock out undervolting and 10th gen cannot be undervolted. Also using ThrottleStop you can decrease the max boost.

4) Use the laptop on a flat smooth surface to maximise airflow. You can even try propping the laptop up to increase airflow under the laptop.

5) Use a FPS limiter in games. For example games the run at 140+ FPS try capping at 100-120. This reduces workload.

I have a Dell G5 with 9750h and it used to always go to 95-100c when gaming. What I have done. I used ThrottleStop with a -0.154v offset. Reduced max boost of 4, 5 & 6 cores by 200mhz. I have added extra rubber feet to raise the laptop about another 4mm off the table (made a noticeable difference). I also cap my FPS. I now get between 80-83c in cpu heavy games and no thermal throttling. My cpu and gaming benchmark scores have all gone up. Unfortunately these 9th & 10th gen Intel’s are a hot mess.

Mar 30, 2020
The laptop model is dell g3 15 3590
Specs: 16 gb ram
Core i7
Gtx 1660ti
The laptop is 10 months old only.
Ok if the temp reading is wrong why the cpu speed decrease while gaming.

It’s not a fake temp, it’s going to be right. The cpu is dropping speed as its thermal throttling. Things to try;

1) A clean out of all dust from the cooler. This may mean taking the laptop apart.

2) Replacing the thermal paste on the cpu.

3) If that is a 9th gen i7 you can undervolt by using and older BIOS. A program like ThrottleStop is good for this and there are several guides around if you search. Newer BIOS’s lock out undervolting and 10th gen cannot be undervolted. Also using ThrottleStop you can decrease the max boost.

4) Use the laptop on a flat smooth surface to maximise airflow. You can even try propping the laptop up to increase airflow under the laptop.

5) Use a FPS limiter in games. For example games the run at 140+ FPS try capping at 100-120. This reduces workload.

I have a Dell G5 with 9750h and it used to always go to 95-100c when gaming. What I have done. I used ThrottleStop with a -0.154v offset. Reduced max boost of 4, 5 & 6 cores by 200mhz. I have added extra rubber feet to raise the laptop about another 4mm off the table (made a noticeable difference). I also cap my FPS. I now get between 80-83c in cpu heavy games and no thermal throttling. My cpu and gaming benchmark scores have all gone up. Unfortunately these 9th & 10th gen Intel’s are a hot mess.

When not gaming too the temp stay 100
What’s the cpu usage? You are using the laptop on a flat surface and not your lap? If you have some program or virus pushing cpu resources very hard then it would overheat like gaming. If cpu usage is low it suggests a problem with the cooling system. This could be dust, needing new thermal paste of the fan not running properly. If it is not dust and still under warranty you may want to send it back to Dell to fix as you don’t want to void the warranty.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS