News Thermalright Reveals AMD AM5 2-in-1 Secure Frame and Thermal Paste Guard

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I've got a similar one for LGA1700.
The tolerances are tight, but leaves you enough space that it isn't a press fit or anything. But when I pulled the frame out it lifted the CPU with it because a little tim got in there.
But it looks sharp, is well made and does the job.

georgebaker437

Honorable
Jan 9, 2019
Why? Because it looks cool. It does provide better support for the CPU, even if there is no warping problems with most squarish LGA packages....yet. Having worked with hot metal all of my working life, I will be very surprised if some distortion does not eventually present itself with this "Mondo Bizzarro ", eight legged CPU Package after numerous hot-cool cycles.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
There is some risk to these adapters. While I bought and installed one for my Alder Lake CPU (2-3 degrees C lower temps at most), one of the install videos warned of issues that could happen. No boot, memory issues, and over temps are all possible IF the screws are not tightened just so. Since this is strictly a judgment call on how tight to make the screws, it was a little disconcerting to hear. Fortunately, I was successful and it sounds like most people are as well. This may be a solution for something that is really not a problem.

Reactions: bit_user

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
There is some risk to these adapters. While I bought and installed one for my Alder Lake CPU (2-3 degrees C lower temps at most), one of the install videos warned of issues that could happen. No boot, memory issues, and over temps are all possible IF the screws are not tightened just so. Since this is strictly a judgment call on how tight to make the screws, it was a little disconcerting to hear. Fortunately, I was successful and it sounds like most people are as well. This may be a solution for something that is really not a problem.
There's risk for sure. But I do feel people who are inexperience are unlikely to do this sorts of mod. Over tightening of screw can happen not just on these sort of CPU frame. I've seen cases that system don't boot because someone over tightened the cooler using brute strength. Fortunately, loosening the screws solved the problem, though I am not sure if there is any physical damage on the motherboard as I did not check it.

Having said that, it will be interesting to see if these 3rd party frames will help improve thermals since the mounting mechanism don't seem to be very different from LGA 1700. The pressing issue for AMD is the bad decision to keep the same AMD4 mounting which means the very thick IHS. I think it is good for them to consider backward compatibility, but I feel they may have made the wrong call this time round. 95 degrees at stock may be normal for the CPU, but that also means the CPU fans are running close to 100%.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
There's risk for sure. But I do feel people who are inexperience are unlikely to do this sorts of mod. Over tightening of screw can happen not just on these sort of CPU frame. I've seen cases that system don't boot because someone over tightened the cooler using brute strength. Fortunately, loosening the screws solved the problem, though I am not sure if there is any physical damage on the motherboard as I did not check it.
The video I watched warned of not only OVER tightening the mounting screws but also of UNDER tightening as well. Their recommendation was finger tight then 1/4 turn. That only worked for a couple of mounting screws as the other two were already very tight. I am as experienced as the next guy, but it was a true "keep my fingers crossed" kind of boot :) I hope that most PC enthusiasts give this mod a pass as the brackets, while not optimal, do the job and keep the warranty intact.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is some risk to these adapters. While I bought and installed one for my Alder Lake CPU (2-3 degrees C lower temps at most), one of the install videos warned of issues that could happen. No boot, memory issues, and over temps are all possible IF the screws are not tightened just so.
Can you please explain the failure mechanism introduced by the frame? Does over-tightening potentially push it into contact with electrical components, introducing a short-circuit scenario?

BarftheMog

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
With Intel, there is a greater risk NOT using these adapters as well... Most especially if you leave your 12/13th gen CPU installed without a cooler on top of it... like if you leave the CPU installed after removing the board to try to sell it 2nd hand. The CPU being longer than usual coupled with the extra tight retention bracket can and will warp the CPU to where it may not work properly or at all. I'm a fairly small systems integrator and I've lost a few 12th and 13th high end CPUs due to warping. I had a 12700k warp to the point the pads were not making connection with the motherboard pins well enough to recognize one of the memory channels, a 13900k warped so that would no longer post at all, and a 13700k that would just crash once any load was put on to the CPU... I always use one of these brackets or use the washer mod to lift the retention bracket an extra few MM to keep this from happening. Both 13th gens warped with coolers installed, the 12700k was bought 2nd hand with the CPU having been left in the socket for quite some time with no cooler installed on it. Warping was always fairly obvious.

The washer mod may require a little more expertise, but swapping the stock retention bracket for one of these 3rd party brackets is about as easy as installing any CPU cooler. Just need the correct bit to remove those screws and make sure when you put the new bracket on it's nice and tight, but do not crank down on it so hard you damage the motherboard.