Thermalright TRUE Black 120 Heatsink

BongoKongo

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I have a P6T Deluxe V2 and an i7 CPU with a Thermalright TRUE Black 120 Cooler with 1 Noctua NF-P12 1300rpm 120mm Fan.

The system runs on a 1000 Watt Collermaster PSU & has two ATI HD-4890's (Crossfire Config) to handle the Graphics.
At the moment the system is not overclocked and is running on the default ASUS BIOS settings.

I have a Thermaltake V9 Gaming case which is well ventilated and it all seems to work fine but the CPU does seem to run a little hotter at idle than most temps I have seen on the net.

At the moment the CPU runs at 49c at idle & always gets up to the high 60's under load. NOTE: This is an Australian winter in the mid to high 20's ambient temperature at the moment. But in summer the temperature will easily reach the High 30's which is what I am worried about.

Now the only thing that I can think of that is possibly causing the higher that average heat readings is that the TRUE Black 120 Heatsink is "painted Black"where it contacts the CPU.
Do you think it would be a good idea to Lapp the Heatsink contact area to remove the Black paint & also give the i7 CPU the once over with the sandpaper as well? I feel that this customization might do the trick; what do you guys think?

Solution
I have a regular aluminum ultra-120 and an i7 920. Opinions will vary, but I was unimpressed with the contact between the heatsink and the cpu so I lapped mine.

Your temps do seem a bit high as they sound similar to my temps at 4 GHz. I would start by manually setting the CPU voltage to 1.2 and then see what kind of load temps you get.

If you are comfortable lapping it, I would say go for it. As long as you are careful, it can only help. At the very least you should take the heatsink off and inspect the thermal compound to see what kind of contact you are getting.

spinny

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I have a regular aluminum ultra-120 and an i7 920. Opinions will vary, but I was unimpressed with the contact between the heatsink and the cpu so I lapped mine.

Your temps do seem a bit high as they sound similar to my temps at 4 GHz. I would start by manually setting the CPU voltage to 1.2 and then see what kind of load temps you get.

If you are comfortable lapping it, I would say go for it. As long as you are careful, it can only help. At the very least you should take the heatsink off and inspect the thermal compound to see what kind of contact you are getting.

Solution