Thermalright's Macho Zero CPU Cooler Is Fanless

Status
Not open for further replies.

icrf

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Isn't this how a lot of OEM desktops operate? It works because they can control the case exhaust ports and CPU locations sufficiently and in enough volume to build custom hard plastic shrouds. Nice to see in the consumer space, even if it is a big popoid.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Any decent to good fan (Phanteks or Noctua for example) attached to a large tower can be pretty much silent, especially in a case geared toward being quiet. 140mm fans are 'almost' silent around the 500-600rpm range while allowing the heatsink to me that much more effective. Just like a huge watercooling radiator with fans running at a very low rpm. Some air flow is better than none.

I guess a low powered cpu (i3 or pentium) would work well with this but who puts those weak chips in large enclosures? I like the idea of an i3 or Pentium in a tiny itx box or a box that the user does not care about sound.

This is a good idea, but I'd like to see someone sell a length of expandable flexible hose (e.g. 3"-8") with a fan adapter on one end and some kind of clip on the other, so any number of CPU heatsinks can be operated this way.

It does take up a lot of real-estate, but 710 grams isn't that bad. It's not too much heavier than the Hyper 212 EVO, and almost half the weight of some of the other dual-tower configurations.

I wonder if we could do a fanless heatsink round-up?

f-14

Distinguished
i see the hole that is offset to one side at the bottom, and then offset at the top to the other side this is an interesting feature of what would be the chimney effect right? were it mounted vertically and with a case exhaust above it that would work an interesting bit of natures physics. i would think the chimney would have to increase in diameter some what to induce a heat funnel.
laterally mounted that chimney is all wrong. i am surprised more study hasn't been done on this by heating and cooling experts as well as air flow experts in a great many industries.

F-14,
They state the purpose of the chimney is to connect to a case fan which then draws air through the chimney. It's not meant to be used without a fan nor would it do much of anything in that scenario.

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
No mechanical apparatus with moving parts is silent. You'd have to have a really big fan not to hear it at all in the case unless you have poor hearing. The only way to be silent is not to have a fan. It is actually possible with a well designed case and airflow system to not have more than a single fan or any fan at all even in a higher end system. It's a matter of thermodynamics. Unless you've done the math, (and unless you're a electrical or mechanical engineer, i seriously doubt you have the skill set) about how that particular heat sink works, you really don't know what you're talking about.

"Any decent to good fan (Phanteks or Noctua for example) attached to a large tower can be pretty much silent, especially in a case geared toward being quiet. 140mm fans are 'almost' silent around the 500-600rpm range while allowing the heatsink to me that much more effective. Just like a huge watercooling radiator with fans running at a very low rpm. Some air flow is better than none.

I guess a low powered cpu (i3 or pentium) would work well with this but who puts those weak chips in large enclosures? I like the idea of an i3 or Pentium in a tiny itx box or a box that the user does not care about sound. "

C'mon, man, he said "almost silent", not completely silent, so r-e-l-a-x.

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
Just ordered it and the fan duct is not optional either 120mm or 140mm take a look at the temps at 4.5ghz and 1005 load and be amzed its' cooler then some cpu cooler with fans, fan duct make it even cooler not by 1-3 degress but more the 5 degress http://www.play3r.net/reviews/cooling/thermalright-macho-zero-review/6/

Status
Not open for further replies.