Thermalright's Shaman VGA Cooler: The Quiet Giant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Great it you only have 1 GPU and no other expansion cards because the thing takes up like 4 slots

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
It would of been nice to take a picture of the card looking down on it from the top so we could see/estimate how many slots it would take up.
how many slots does it exactly take up?

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
It's not a case, it's a test bed.
You aren't going to set this up in SLI, especially with the VRM heatsink going one way and the 140mm fan going the other.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
thanks for the nice conclusion. on the same note, watercooling and large air heatsinks are same with this cooler right here, there isn't much to be gained in terms of adding more clock speed.
for the right reasons, i would still get WC or large sinks.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Prolimatech and Thermalright are the best CPU coolers in most of the solutions. Personally I use them and very much satisfied with their performance on my Workstations. But, if one is looking for a cost effective solution then Cooler Master Hyper212 plus is still the best bet. Choice if yours :)

dmcfc

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]akula2[/nom]Prolimatech and Thermalright are the best CPU coolers in most of the solutions. Personally I use them and very much satisfied with their performance on my Workstations. But, if one is looking for a cost effective solution then Cooler Master Hyper212 plus is still the best bet. Choice if yours[/citation]

the cm 212+ is a cpu cooler, this article is about a vga cooler, there is no way both of those can be compared...

Ok I just don't see the point of this other than trying to make the pc quieter, it takes a lot of space, my guess is that it's not possible to crossfire or sli any cards if both of the cards are using this cooler! If one of the cards is not using it the pc is going to be just as loud so there is no point of having it on not even in one of the cards! So this cooler is just for people that want a quieter pc with a single card with just one gpu (as they don't work with dual-gpu like the 5970..)

bullit7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
The whole point of this test was to see how well the Shaman compared to the other products and you invalidated the test when you added the additional VRM cooler. What you SHOULD have done was to get the better thermal tape and tested it with the cooling parts in the box, not go and add an additional part that screwed the whole test. Yes, it's only the VRM, but it still counts because Thermalright put their own parts in the box for a reason. I call for a retest.

The results are impressive for a cooler on a test bed. But... most of us will have the card and cooler installed in a case. Where does the hot vga air go? Right back into the case where it heats up both the air used to cool the graphics card AND the air used to cool the cpu. That is why A direct exhaust type cooler will be more effective. Let's see a test of these coolers installed in a case.

G

Disappointed that TH did this review with an additional component rather than the out-of-box cooler only. It is completely misleading no matter how much it is disclosed, that the added vrm cooler is not part of the product being reviewed. If the card were to fail due to the vrm chips cooking, that needs to be part of the review. Instead you are effectively covering a manufacturer deficiency by adding another product.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]dstln[/nom]It looks like a good option for enthusiasts who want a quiet system. Besides that, I fail to see the point.[/citation]

I find this as the biggest attraction to after market cooling; that is silence. Most of the stock HSF setups are very loud in gaming mode, at least that's how both my 4870 and 8800GT cards have been.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Heat is much less of a problem with overclocking than you might think. Every CPU/GPU I've had has become unstable long before it approached its thermal limit. Maybe I was just unlucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.