[SOLVED] Thermals Cooling, but not the Normal Questions

Feb 9, 2020
Hey everyone, first time here posting, long time surveyor.

So, my MSI GE72MVR has some decent hardware. The dual cooling fans and dedicated heat pipes are great. My problem isn't the CPU or GPU thermals.... It is my own. Let me explain. I have to run the fans pretty high to reduce heat exposure to the aluminum palmrest, which likes to redirect heat from one of the mobo chips up to my left hand (left of the palmrest). As the heat goes up internal to the laptop, so does the palmrest. This makes playing power-hungry games somewhat unbearable at times. Which, is a real bummer.

So, I am looking for a thermal insulator. One to put in between the palmrest and the chip(s) on the left of the touchpad. Under the keyboard would be great too.

So, any ideas? This is a laptop, so it needs to be something thin. I've tried searching for materials that are both a thermal insulator and isn't electrically conductive, but my searching hasn't bore much fruit.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Solution
There are plenty of options by searching "thermal pad", "laptop thermal pad", "thin insulating non-conductive pad", etc...what is it about those that don't meet your need? They are .4mm and up in thickness. But a question back: if that heat isn't escaping through the top of the laptop, where do you think it's going? Point being that it currently dissipates through the palm rest area so if you insulate that it will be held inside the laptop, or at least be held longer while it gets vented by the cooling devices

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
There are plenty of options by searching "thermal pad", "laptop thermal pad", "thin insulating non-conductive pad", etc...what is it about those that don't meet your need? They are .4mm and up in thickness. But a question back: if that heat isn't escaping through the top of the laptop, where do you think it's going? Point being that it currently dissipates through the palm rest area so if you insulate that it will be held inside the laptop, or at least be held longer while it gets vented by the cooling devices

Solution
Feb 9, 2020

Thanks for the reply.

You are right, there are a lot of results with each search term, however most are for thermally "conducting" and not thermally "insulting". I was having a hard time finding one that would not be both electrically and thermally insulative. The key was both, not either or.

I have been thinking also about where the heat goes as well. A colleague suggested adding a fan to help cool that component along with the thermal insulator. I was thinking that if there was room, to make my own heat pipes from that chip to the fan that is nearest that chip.

Feb 9, 2020
Most thermal insulating pads are made of non -conductive materials, such as silicone. Here’s one product that meets your need:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/62396165594/Mobile-phone-laptop-high-cooling-thermal.html?s=p

Thank you for that.

Not being an electrical engineer, I didn't realize that "thermal impedance" and "thermal conductivity" were opposites, per se to what I need. I realize that thermal conductivity is a measurement, not a state.

I did find this as well, but I wasn't sure of its electrical conductivity:
Sil-Pad 900 by Bergquist
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/thermal-gap-pads/bergquist_sil_padtsp900.html

Its thermal conductivity is only 0.9W/m.k.

For comparison, my Noctua NH-T1 thermal paste is about 35W/m.k.

I'll look that up and see what it is in comparison.

BTW, of what you sent, looks like LD8100 is what I'd need.

Thank you!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS