Thermaltake Big Water 745 or Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II ?

kamikaze27

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
At around $160 I have these two in mind. I've read a little about both, but who has eyes and experience with any of these two?

There's a first time for everything I guess.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Idk about the gigabyte, but from what ive heard, the Bigwater is a poor performer. It also leaves stickly gluey gump all over the components too from the mounting blocks.

kamikaze27

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Hell, no I don't need that... so you've used Bigwater before? I've seen the 3D Galaxy in operation, must be honest, I think its ugly, but if it is better, I guess I dont have much of a choice. Dont wanna be setting this up while the cows come home...

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
No, i ahvent used the bigwater. I did read up quite a fair bit on it in reviews and forums before i purchased a new pc a few months back. TT's air coolers are alright, but the liquid cooling suxx

kamikaze27

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
At $150-$200, what WCS would you get? I really cannot afford to be spending any more than this, it was pretty spontaneous as it is.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
i personally hate water cooling

-high maintenance (ie draining loop every 6 months)
-wate rloops only last around 3 years
-higher failure rate with disatarous results
-expensive

i cant really recommedn any to you atm. Why do you need one though? Overclocking? The Bling Factor? Silent PC?

kamikaze27

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
I was hoping it would be more silent. I have lot of white noise resonating from many places, I even have a huge fishtank, looking for better sleep, yes.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Sorry, but i can't help in your choice.

Thing you might wish to look out for-

-when reading reviews, check the dba (noise) level. some high performance waterloops are just as noisy as the standard hsink/fan combos
-look for 'silent' water loops, ie those dedicated fot home theatre pcs and the like, not gaming/overclocking ones. the perfomance kits tend to use high flow rate pumps and high airflow fan. they cool grate, but compromise on the noise.
-water cooling isn't always the quitest options. some highperformance air cooled heatsinks when set to "low' can still have very acceptable tmperature levels, yet still be quieter than the average video card or psu fan.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
~ad break~

taco bell, taco bell
product displacement with taco bell

~end of space filling jingle)

seeing as i quadruple posted accidently
mite aw well insert something different :D

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Lmao. Nice easy way to get the post count up

hahahahah LMAO!!! no...

y would i need to get teh post count up for? i got above 100 a while back so theres no reason to ajck it up further

lol

was a genuine mistake tho. IE got stuck so i clicked refresh and it half froze and refreshed 5 times for me before i could ctrl-alt-del the process

kamikaze27

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Man I just took a peek at the swiftech ultra with all the bells. Its looks good, and complete, but $%mn complete price also.

Do you have working experience with one?

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
sorry to be of topic but, i have to drain my loop every 6 months?!?! and change the tubes every 3 years!!...what did i get my self into...

kamikaze27

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
sorry to be of topic but, i have to drain my loop every 6 months?!?! and change the tubes every 3 years!!...what did i get my self into...

I have a fishtank that I clean out completely every month, and empty the water out every week.

I'll just throw it in.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006

well your supposed to, to refersh the colling solution. even if youy do add antimould, you shoudl still drain every 6-8months. an amazing amount of crap can build up inside. maybe not with all loops, but a lot do gum up inside over time, even the expnsive ones. i dno abt swiftech tho.

you don't ahve to change the tubes every 3 years. kinda said that a bit weird. most cooling setups will last abt 3 years, before a part (any, wheather it be pump, fan etc) will fail and need replacement. as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. high ened loops probably won';t have this problem, but it is a good idera to check it periodically

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
OK, thanks..now bacl to the topic, i think u shouls get the Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II because there is a fan ontop of the cpu block that will help keep the voltage things around the cpu cool durring overclocking. l8er :)

kamikaze27

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
OK, thanks..now bacl to the topic, i think u shouls get the Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II because there is a fan ontop of the cpu block that will help keep the voltage things around the cpu cool durring overclocking. l8er :)

yeah, 3D galaxy it is then, with the mosfet cooling, I read that in the reviews.

I'm thinking, could I not get like a coolive chassis with any water cooling, and reverse the fan on the side panel to blow on the mosfet?

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
umm, isn't the side fan on any case there for blowing air on the chipset? and any exhausts are at the back of the case? thats what I've just noticed an any case I've seen. l8er :)

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
yeh, noremally it is

hehe i gotta 25cm side fan blowing into chipset/mobo/soundcvard/graphics card too

mayeb they just installed the fan the wrong way round on kamikazes case. when i bought my one, the 25cm fan was orienteetd 90 degree left to the normal position and it had a tab that prevented the door from closing.

itd b understandable if the extracting side fan was over the pci-e 16x slots tho. it wud pump out the hot air from the gpu