Thermaltake Chaser MKI-What size are the upper fans?

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
The fan on the top makes noise and I need to replace it. I failed to find the size of it-
What is the size and what silent fan is recommended? Thanks

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks!
What do you think I should go for? I want it to be quiet, but it will be used for gaming too so cooling is of an essence.
I live in Israel and I think that Newegg don't ship here..

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Will one 140mm fan suffice? I have a store near my house that has fans, but the biggest is 140mm.
Could you please take a look and tell me what I should get?
If there is a much better fan that I should get (and that they don't have) please let me know. Please let me know asap as I will be next to the store in a short while.
Thanks

revernt

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
I would think a single 140mm fan would be sufficent (any airflow is better than none), you can always add another one later on if needed.

But just to be sure, how are your temps now with your stock case fan?

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Actually I didn't really check the temperatures, but it has never crashed due to overheat or something of that sort. LEDs and not necessary as I can find it quite irritating (I rarely turned the LEDs on). However I am not against it. If it is a good, quiet fan then it is fine. I have a two buttons on the case-one that controls the fan power, and one for the LED. Will they work fine with another fan (also another LED fan?)
I guess I could order from eBay a fan, but I thought that if there is a good fan in the store I better buy it there so I don't have to wait (The store prices are very close to eBay's).
Also please let me know what fan you think will suffice. Will it be quite silent? It is an important parameter for me, as I listen to music with open headphones, so an outside noise could distract me. If you think I should go with two 120mm or two 140mm instead of one, please let me know too. I currently prefer to buy only one as I am on a tight budget. If it is necessary I will consider it.
Many thanks!

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hi, Could you tell me which fan from the site I listed will be sufficient? I am planning on getting a GTX 980ti if it matters. I don't know what temperatures it gets to.
Thanks!

revernt

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Okay after a little bit of thinking and debating, I'm going to recommend 140mm fans from Scythe. They might be a little more expensive than most, but you're paying for what you're getting. Quality. (Note: This is my opinion. If I was in your scenario, this is what I would choose. I am not saying it is the best option.)

But I'm not sure what type of fan connections you have available (need to know motherboard model and possibly a little more about your case to be specific) so I'll be posting both PWM and non-PWM fans.

PWM - Scythe Slip Stream XT 500-1300RPM

Non-PWM - Scythe Slip Stream 140XT 800RPM

See Also - PWM vs Non-PWM on Overclock.net Forums

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks for the help!
My mobo is Asus Sabertooth Z77. Which one should I get? Should I get two or one will suffice (I need only the top fans replaced).
Anyway, There is a little change of plans and because of that getting the fans from ebay is not a problem for me.
Would you recommend another fan if I go on eBay or you would still stick with that?
Many thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

revernt

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
If you choose 140mm then I would suggest PWM fans. One will be enough but it might have to run louder than you would want it to to achieve the target airflow level.

However if eBay as an option, I would suggest sticking with the original plan of replacing your big fan. This will most likely be the more quiet option. This Cooler Master Megaflow is a good choice in my opinion. I've seen it recommended here several times.

Also about our earlier LED conversation- I don't think it will be easy to find a fan that can use the color changing button/switch on your case without ordering a replacement from Thermaltake. But from your experience with your first case fan I don't think that would be a good choice.

See also - 200mm fan vs 2x120mm fans, what's best? here on Tom's (Slightly relevant).

super300

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks. I think I'll go with the Cooler Master Megaflow. The only problem is that I don't need LED and most of the time I'll want it off. Is there a possibility to turn the LED off with my Chaser MKI case? (I can change the colors of my current fans and turn them off. I am just not sure about that fan.)