Question Thermaltake Core V21 vs Level 20 VT

nexuslotus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I'm building a gaming SFF PC and I want a case that can mount motherboard in horizontal orientation with excellent airflow. I will be using 9700K with Noctua NH-D15 which is one of the best air coolers in the market. I know NH-D15 will be able to cool this CPU with no OC and maybe for light OC.

For the case, I came down to Thermaltake Core V21 and Level 20 VT. Level 20 VT is pretty much newly released Core V21 with tempered glasses on all sides. I would prefer to get Level 20 VT but I'm worried if not having mesh grills on front & sides will have huge impact on cooling 9700K.

Core V21 has excellent airflow to intake cold air in from front 200mm fan and each sides use mesh grill panel so the panels do not block airs going in and out compared to Level 20 VT uses tempered glass panel with some openings on the edges.

Lastly, do you have any recommendation of any SFF case that satisfies following?
(1) Horizontal motherboard orientation without flipping the case's stock orientation
(2) Minimum 165mm height clearance for CPU cooler
(3) Front of the case can be used as intake (preferably by using 200mm fan or 2x smaller fans)
(4) White case would be a plus but not a must.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have a 9700k in a 20 VT, but it's cooled by full watercooling loop.

Depending on other fans you intend to use in addition to the large 200mm front fan, you can get a lot of airflow. For example, I added a 140mm rear fan and the 4x EK Vardar fans for the radiators on the top and if you are not using radiators, you can easily just place fans here.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-threadripper-2990wx-water-cooling-pc-build,review-34686.html

This is my article on the Threadripper 2990WX cooling review, but the exact same cooling setup is being used for my i7 9700k and RTX 2080 build as my production review hardware.