Thermaltake Intros Flashy LifeCool Notebook Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 1) your laptop was designed correctly and 2) you didnt use your laptop on the floor/carpet/bed you wouldn't need this product or any similar product as they should NOT be needed.

Any laptop should be able to run 100% in any condition, anything anywhere without anything extra, if it doesn't its faulty.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
apache_lives:
If you own any sort of relatively high power notebook, e.g. ASUS G-series, MSI GT683... etc then you will know most large notebooks have stupid cooling designs. Their stupid cooling designs then leads to CPU throttling, GPU FPS drops, reduce in life-span and very very warm palm rest...
You can also try HP, most of the slightly older notebooks have a weird bend next to their heatsink which traps tremendous amount of dust... Or some even older Acer notebooks, they run extremely hot and eventually, something will be toasted inside within 3 years...

Some notebooks, do need cooler. "Just Saying. -____-""
As of this particular pad, the height seems rather large and cannot be adjusted...

MSI lol there a joke, HP yes there cooling designs redirect (kill airflow) with stupid ~45º down angle airflow direct and asus are generally well designed with exceptions.

Nvidia GPU's and chipsets regardless of cooling WILL die after a few years - there poor products (still) - this product will not stop that.

I work with this junk year in year out i repeat IF IT DOES NOT WORK ON ITS OWN (the laptop) ITS FAULTY

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
apache_lives:
More than half of the ROG notebooks from ASUS have stupid cooling system, only the "newer" G74, G73, G53, those "stealth fighter" designs have some better cooling.
Nvidia GPU's die after a few years? Don't know about that, but most of my ATi / AMD graphics cards fry first... HD5750, X1900 XT... even the Nvidia 6400 GO is still going strong after 6 years... In my experience, ATi seems to be... a cheap alternative.

shoda

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I have an Ultra Notebook cooler right now and I am not that satisfied. If this is priced reasonably I am thinking of getting this. *crosses fingers*

lol what so a brand new laptop under 100% load furmark+prime should shut off without a "laptop cooler" ?

you just accept that its like that, like it isnt a fault?

sorry but my expectation are different from yours, seems I expect too much ;) to buy a laptop but for it to not work, a gaming laptop that cant game right yeah your right

idiot.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]If 1) your laptop was designed correctly and 2) you didnt use your laptop on the floor/carpet/bed you wouldn't need this product or any similar product as they should NOT be needed.Any laptop should be able to run 100% in any condition, anything anywhere without anything extra, if it doesn't its faulty.[/citation]

This guy has a point. I would take any laptop back that doesn't stand on its own. Also, if your laptop didn't need one before, but it's overheating now, then you have other problems. It amazes me how many people buy $20+ laptop coolers when they really need a $5 can of compressed air.

Keep your laptop well maintained and you'll only need a laptop cooler to keep your LAP cool... not the laptop.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Also, if the compressed air doesn't fix it, check to see if the fan is even spinning. CPUs and GPUs don't typically die out often. Laptop fans, on the other hand, die out far more often than any component I've worked with. In fact, I've replaced 3 different laptop fans recently. One asus gaming laptop, one ibook, one no-frills HP laptop. Two of those (asus, hp) were using laptop coolers just to stay running. Guess how many needed laptop coolers after the fans were replaced? None.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
"If 1) your laptop was designed correctly and 2) you didnt use your laptop on the floor/carpet/bed you wouldn't need this product or any similar product as they should NOT be needed."

Good points, except that 90% of all laptops aren't manufactured to your oh-so-strict standards. Mine doesn't even have a fan for the GPU or RAM (old HP DV-6000). And when gaming, the GPU heats up to 90° C and makes the touchpad unusable, as it's right below the touchpad...

So this product would benefit 90% of the laptop owners out there, and the other 10% of the elitist cash-chuckers don't need it.

If you don't need it, don't buy it. But don't try to discredit the validity of such an accessory.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]MSI lol there a joke, HP yes there cooling designs redirect (kill airflow) with stupid ~45º down angle airflow direct and asus are generally well designed with exceptions.Nvidia GPU's and chipsets regardless of cooling WILL die after a few years - there poor products (still) - this product will not stop that.I work with this junk year in year out i repeat IF IT DOES NOT WORK ON ITS OWN (the laptop) ITS FAULTY[/citation]

Your opinion that Nvidia's products WILL die is simply laughable. How many computers have you worked with, two? One? Your statement is simply absurd. I have built scores of workstations running Nvidia chipsets and GPUs, many of them are six or seven years old and still run fine, even with heavy 3D rendering on their CPUs. Making blanket statements based on your ignorance merely projects said ignorance even louder than before.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]lol what so a brand new laptop under 100% load furmark+prime should shut off without a "laptop cooler" ?you just accept that its like that, like it isnt a fault?sorry but my expectation are different from yours, seems I expect too much to buy a laptop but for it to not work, a gaming laptop that cant game right yeah your rightidiot.[/citation]

Hm... you obvious haven't dealt with ASUS G50 series or G71 and DV7 with decent graphics card.
Try running them with primark + furmark 5 hours. See who is laughing, ambient temperature being around 23 Degrees Celcius.
hm... seems like someone doesn't have all the facts.
I work with notebooks, it's my job, I think I know a bit more than the average bear.

G

Nvidia gpu on laptops has been a POS since the 7 series,im not talking about performance but reliability and durability.Even with proper cooling.

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]MSI lol there a joke, HP yes there cooling designs redirect (kill airflow) with stupid ~45º down angle airflow direct and asus are generally well designed with exceptions.Nvidia GPU's and chipsets regardless of cooling WILL die after a few years - there poor products (still)...[/citation]

Always refreshing to wake up and see one more person on the internet making ridiculous, laughable, claims.

I do agree with him that if you set your laptop on a desk it shouldn't shut off using the programs it was designed for. However computers are an open product that are a nightmare for CEM designers because often people do things to them that they just shouldn't (ever remove a virus?). Not every system was made to bench or clock with.

I'm curious to know what bulletproof laptop you use, apache_lives. =)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
laptop cooling pads are generally ripoffs, I can build one for around $5 (I made one using a little bit of wood, a 120mm case fan with build in fan speed controller, a few nails, and some wood glue. May not look as nice but it works extremely well. I mainly use it for various older HP laptops where HP thought it would be a good idea to put the hard drive in a unventilated enclosure (this made running spinrite nearly impossible as the hard drive would overheat after 10 minutes)

For a well designed laptop you never need a cooling pad if you clean the heatsinks regularly.

grooveboss

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
its an upgrade on cooling thats it. Cooler computers run better. End of story. If you dont want to upgrade your cooling thats fine but if you do then get one.

hmmmm how about you go take a look at how long i have been here and how many posts i have for a start - the 1970 bug tells you everything

[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]"If 1) your laptop was designed correctly and 2) you didnt use your laptop on the floor/carpet/bed you wouldn't need this product or any similar product as they should NOT be needed."Good points, except that 90% of all laptops aren't manufactured to your oh-so-strict standards. Mine doesn't even have a fan for the GPU or RAM (old HP DV-6000). And when gaming, the GPU heats up to 90° C and makes the touchpad unusable, as it's right below the touchpad...So this product would benefit 90% of the laptop owners out there, and the other 10% of the elitist cash-chuckers don't need it. If you don't need it, don't buy it. But don't try to discredit the validity of such an accessory.[/citation]

NO LAPTOP HAS A DEDICATED FAN FOR RAM NOR IS IT NEEDED, also the GPU would be cooled by the same heatpipe or hsf as the cpu/chipset, the DV9000 has a tiny but dedicated hsf, the DV2000 also does not. DV6000 series isnt a gaming laptop either, dont know what you can "play" on it.

I have torn apart and reflowed so many laptops with nvidia graphics its not funny i can tell you in detail what to expect with all models, i can tell you the DV2000 is more complex to tear apart then a DV6000 or DV9000 or the newer HP's thanks to having 10x the ammount of unique screws everywhere and the top palm rest flexing and never bending into shape 100% again.

This is amazing coming from someone who owns a DV6000 HP the WORST MOST UNRELIABLE LAPTOP IN THE WORLD where did you get the idea to buy that? Go google the problems they ALL had and the average lifespan of them thanks to the Nvidia GPU's failing - i can confirm all this because i work on them every day, i reflow the GPU and bam they work again for a while and i resell them, i make a living off them, its my job, dont tell me i dont know about them.

[citation][nom]grooveboss[/nom]its an upgrade on cooling thats it. Cooler computers run better. End of story. If you dont want to upgrade your cooling thats fine but if you do then get one.[/citation]

Computers dont really care about temps, but down my way its better them running warm - drives the dampness/moisture out but there are better tricks for that, and aslong as there under 80ºc load (laptops) they will be fine (obviously HDD's dont like that however)

[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]laptop cooling pads are generally ripoffs, I can build one for around $5 (I made one using a little bit of wood, a 120mm case fan with build in fan speed controller, a few nails, and some wood glue. May not look as nice but it works extremely well. I mainly use it for various older HP laptops where HP thought it would be a good idea to put the hard drive in a unventilated enclosure (this made running spinrite nearly impossible as the hard drive would overheat after 10 minutes)For a well designed laptop you never need a cooling pad if you clean the heatsinks regularly.[/citation]

An old chopping board is fine to rest it on your lap, and HDD's dont overheat you have other issues

[citation][nom]nothing_personal[/nom]Nvidia gpu on laptops has been a POS since the 7 series,im not talking about performance but reliability and durability.Even with proper cooling.[/citation]

Exactly my point

[citation][nom]kelvinty[/nom]Hm... you obvious haven't dealt with ASUS G50 series or G71 and DV7 with decent graphics card.Try running them with primark + furmark 5 hours. See who is laughing, ambient temperature being around 23 Degrees Celcius.hm... seems like someone doesn't have all the facts.I work with notebooks, it's my job, I think I know a bit more than the average bear.[/citation]

Well you dont obviously, after the first half hour it gets to about the max temp, you would also take note 99% of the never model hp's - DV7 etc HAVE ATI VIDEO NOW does that give you a hint as to any faults with another GPU vendor? And the DV7 with its 45º angled ventilation and some without base air intake making this product again useless - take a look at one next time. Also have an Alienware laptop floating around with SLI - dead nvidia GPU's, the guy used to use a cooler pad, not a spec of dust in the unit and a year later and just out of warranty DEAD.

I doubt your skills, you sound like what we call a "backyarder" - clueless.

23ºc ambient - try a 38ºc summer.

Go to Intel's website and have a look at the white papers for most Intel mobile processors and chipsets and there max temps - alot are certified to run at 100ºc.

[citation][nom]kastraelie[/nom]Always refreshing to wake up and see one more person on the internet making ridiculous, laughable, claims.I do agree with him that if you set your laptop on a desk it shouldn't shut off using the programs it was designed for. However computers are an open product that are a nightmare for CEM designers because often people do things to them that they just shouldn't (ever remove a virus?). Not every system was made to bench or clock with.I'm curious to know what bulletproof laptop you use, apache_lives. =)[/citation]

Iv never paid for a laptop in my life, the ones my customers trade in or dont want to get repaired are sufficent - a Dell Latitude 6400 (T7500/4GB/GeForce7900GS - cost me nothing, fixed dead GPU and sold it after a year), a Dell Latitude 1725 (T9300/4gb/GeForce8600M-GT - same deal sold it). I still have a mountain of laptops to fix/repair/sell so if i ever want another its no effort.

Only laptop i currently use is an old DV5 with INTEL onboard video to run as a low power remote access/download/game server (65w power pack - low power FTW) - it runs 24/7 - it has no screen or screen assembly no nothing, it runs under constant load also and has been on for YEARS without hassle, hell the power goes out its got its own battery so it literally has not been off for years, even when i moved house it was still on during transport.

[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]"If 1) your laptop was designed correctly and 2) you didnt use your laptop on the floor/carpet/bed you wouldn't need this product or any similar product as they should NOT be needed."Good points, except that 90% of all laptops aren't manufactured to your oh-so-strict standards. Mine doesn't even have a fan for the GPU or RAM (old HP DV-6000). And when gaming, the GPU heats up to 90° C and makes the touchpad unusable, as it's right below the touchpad...So this product would benefit 90% of the laptop owners out there, and the other 10% of the elitist cash-chuckers don't need it. If you don't need it, don't buy it. But don't try to discredit the validity of such an accessory.[/citation]

Oh and errr that GPU of yours is *NOT* under the touchpad btw take the motherboard out and have a took, the CPU, chipset and GPU (Intel models) are all in the same area, you have a triangle like HSF, its under the top left area/keyboard.

V6000 Compaqs also use the same fit and design motherboard ;) although most use AMD's with Nvidia IGP's that still fail all the same.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]hmmmm how about you go take a look at how long i have been here and how many posts i have for a start - the 1970 bug tells you everythingNO LAPTOP HAS A DEDICATED FAN FOR RAM NOR IS IT NEEDED, also the GPU would be cooled by the same heatpipe or hsf as the cpu/chipset, the DV9000 has a tiny but dedicated hsf, the DV2000 also does not. DV6000 series isnt a gaming laptop either, dont know what you can "play" on it.I have torn apart and reflowed so many laptops with nvidia graphics its not funny i can tell you in detail what to expect with all models, i can tell you the DV2000 is more complex to tear apart then a DV6000 or DV9000 or the newer HP's thanks to having 10x the ammount of unique screws everywhere and the top palm rest flexing and never bending into shape 100% again.This is amazing coming from someone who owns a DV6000 HP the WORST MOST UNRELIABLE LAPTOP IN THE WORLD where did you get the idea to buy that? Go google the problems they ALL had and the average lifespan of them thanks to the Nvidia GPU's failing - i can confirm all this because i work on them every day, i reflow the GPU and bam they work again for a while and i resell them, i make a living off them, its my job, dont tell me i dont know about them.Computers dont really care about temps, but down my way its better them running warm - drives the dampness/moisture out but there are better tricks for that, and aslong as there under 80ºc load (laptops) they will be fine (obviously HDD's dont like that however)An old chopping board is fine to rest it on your lap, and HDD's dont overheat you have other issuesExactly my pointWell you dont obviously, after the first half hour it gets to about the max temp, you would also take note 99% of the never model hp's - DV7 etc HAVE ATI VIDEO NOW does that give you a hint as to any faults with another GPU vendor? And the DV7 with its 45º angled ventilation and some without base air intake making this product again useless - take a look at one next time. Also have an Alienware laptop floating around with SLI - dead nvidia GPU's, the guy used to use a cooler pad, not a spec of dust in the unit and a year later and just out of warranty DEAD.I doubt your skills, you sound like what we call a "backyarder" - clueless.23ºc ambient - try a 38ºc summer.Go to Intel's website and have a look at the white papers for most Intel mobile processors and chipsets and there max temps - alot are certified to run at 100ºc.Iv never paid for a laptop in my life, the ones my customers trade in or dont want to get repaired are sufficent - a Dell Latitude 6400 (T7500/4GB/GeForce7900GS - cost me nothing, fixed dead GPU and sold it after a year), a Dell Latitude 1725 (T9300/4gb/GeForce8600M-GT - same deal sold it). I still have a mountain of laptops to fix/repair/sell so if i ever want another its no effort.Only laptop i currently use is an old DV5 with INTEL onboard video to run as a low power remote access/download/game server (65w power pack - low power FTW) - it runs 24/7 - it has no screen or screen assembly no nothing, it runs under constant load also and has been on for YEARS without hassle, hell the power goes out its got its own battery so it literally has not been off for years, even when i moved house it was still on during transport.[/citation]

hard drives do overheat. and on poorly designed laptops if you run spinrite on them, the hard drive temperature quickly hits 60+c causing a thermal shutdown to happen. If you don't believe me, try running spinrite on a HP dv2000 with the hard drive compartment closed, The SMART will quickly begin reporting thermal issues.

Most laptop hard drives overheat at 55C (thats when the SMART reports a thermal error, if you go much higher into the 60C+ the drive will turn off (thermal shutdown) This makes it impossible to do a level 4 spinrite scan where it will basically keep the drive spinning and the head moving 100% of the time for upwards of a day to a week.

A large portion of my income comes from repairing HP laptops (they had many unreliable laptops in the past, especially the DV6000)

grooveboss

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Computers dont really care about temps, but down my way its better them running warm - drives the dampness/moisture out but there are better tricks for that, and aslong as there under 80ºc load (laptops) they will be fine (obviously HDD's dont like that however)
I dont think so dood, come check out my system and my frame rates. We are not talking cold enough so it gathers condensation you ignorant troll. Stop flaming the forums and shut up and a cooling base with a fan. we know it works end of story. Laptop have trouble cooling because they give it up for the sake of mobility. Computer run better kool thats why most computer labs are very air conditioned. Now we all know computers need cooling so they do not over heat and poweful laptops dont have the space for air cooled system to be efficient. we are not talking about sticking it in a fridge we are talking about dropping it a few degrees so it does not go over the limit which most of the laptops i use have faulty or not. now stop trolling and shut the hell up. Maybe you should cool your computer a little more so you dont rage as much. God some people just spend way too much time trolling

[citation][nom]grooveboss[/nom]I dont think so dood, come check out my system and my frame rates. We are not talking cold enough so it gathers condensation you ignorant troll. Stop flaming the forums and shut up and a cooling base with a fan. we know it works end of story. Laptop have trouble cooling because they give it up for the sake of mobility. Computer run better kool thats why most computer labs are very air conditioned. Now we all know computers need cooling so they do not over heat and poweful laptops dont have the space for air cooled system to be efficient. we are not talking about sticking it in a fridge we are talking about dropping it a few degrees so it does not go over the limit which most of the laptops i use have faulty or not. now stop trolling and shut the hell up. Maybe you should cool your computer a little more so you dont rage as much. God some people just spend way too much time trolling[/citation]

LOL your funny.

[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]hard drives do overheat. and on poorly designed laptops if you run spinrite on them, the hard drive temperature quickly hits 60+c causing a thermal shutdown to happen. If you don't believe me, try running spinrite on a HP dv2000 with the hard drive compartment closed, The SMART will quickly begin reporting thermal issues.Most laptop hard drives overheat at 55C (thats when the SMART reports a thermal error, if you go much higher into the 60C+ the drive will turn off (thermal shutdown) This makes it impossible to do a level 4 spinrite scan where it will basically keep the drive spinning and the head moving 100% of the time for upwards of a day to a week.A large portion of my income comes from repairing HP laptops (they had many unreliable laptops in the past, especially the DV6000)[/citation]

HDD temps and thermal output come down to mostly rpm and platter/head count, then by the chassis/location and again if there running too hot its a defect and back to topic should still never REQUIRE a "cooling pad" or any other assistance to run.

No properly built computer should ever cause problems - you should be able to use it any time any where in any way and not think in the back of your head "better not push it too hard" - every pc i have owned, built, picked or purchased follows these rules, and my clients stick with me also because of that level of work and expectation, its also why i am service manager/head tech where i work, I EXPECT THINGS TO WORK HOW I WANT WHERE I WANT.

If your pc cant do that for you, its FAULTY.

As for your ASUS products you keep mentioning, i have seen faults - there old F3 series (when just out, so not old units) with nvidia gpu's would have issues where under load the unit would be 100% but attempt to reboot the unit and it would hang until it cooled off - the ASUS representative personally came around to inspect the complaints, saw it and replaced the units in question sa they were FAULTY.

Do you think his solution was "you shouldnt do that" or "run a cooling pad"? Thats pathetic.

"Heres 3ghz of power... oh wait nah you cant use it its a laptop" dont give me that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.