Thermaltake Launches Software-Controlled Riing RGB LED Radiator Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
So users will buy a fan that will only work with this hub and nothing else?

Have we not been down this road before with Antec and their proprietary CPX power supplies that only fit into Antec propriety cases?

Where are they now..........

chris3488

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
You actually can use them as regular fans, they have a 5 pin connector, the 5th is for the lighting. But why would you buy them as standalone fans? You buy these for the RGB. If you don't care about RGB then there are other alternatives. Although I do wonder if the fan HUB works with the old fans.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

According to the article:
To deter users from mistakenly plugging it into their motherboard, the fans have a proprietary 5-pin connector that will fit only on the hub.

One would not essentially buy them as standalone fans, lets say you buy them with the plan to use them with the hub and somewhere down the line the hub goes bad and needs replacement. The buyer is now stuck with fans they cannot use unless they buy a new hub. Also think about the placement of PWM headers on a motherboard, some of them are right next to each other with no room.

kil7witch84

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
AND YOU CAN STILL ONLY PLUG IN 3 F*#@!NG FANS - I asked a year ago for them to make a SINGLE controller that could control 10 - I have 9 in my case and wish I never bought them.

kil7witch84

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Also - You can daisy chain the controllers with a $40 cable after shipping - which you can only buy from them, but it still doesn't alleviate the need for 3 controllers flopping around in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.