Thermaltake Level 10 And SilverStone Fortress 2: Contemporary Cases?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I like the Fortress 2, especially the 90 degree rotation from typical setup. The Level 10, on the other hand, is an ugly monstrosity. Anyone willing to pay $700 for something that ugly needs therapy.[/citation]

You need therapy for not liking the masterpiece that is the Thermaltake Level 10.
Just cuz you can't afford it, doesn't mean you can start with ur smack talk.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]smonkey[/nom]How about 2 or 3 cards CF? It's more important part.[/citation]

How about FOUR double-slot cards in CrossFire? The Thermaltake Level 10 is an EIGHT SLOT case. Which is why I must ask again, did you read the review or just comment on the title?

motamedn

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]How about FOUR double-slot cards in CrossFire? The Thermaltake Level 10 is an EIGHT SLOT case. Which is why I must ask again, did you read the review or just comment on the title?[/citation]

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but couldn't he be talking about the fortress? I've heard mixed things about the efficiency of air cooling in that case with 2xCF.

motamedn

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]xsamitt[/nom]Well they told me 12.29.Not that that makes a lot of difference.Still though I'm unsure about the official lenght of the 5970.Perhaps someone here has one could have one.[/citation]
Could be wrong about this too, bt it sounds like Crashman was telling you the specs on the card you asked, not disputing the case size. In other words, the case can fit a 12.29" card, but the 5970 is 12.16"

On another note, wouldn't it be nice if video cards adopted some kind of standard? No, not reference design standards-I'm talking about size specific parameters much like MOBOs have with ATX/eATX. Would sure take a huge variable out of the mix.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]motamedn[/nom]Forgive me if i'm wrong, but couldn't he be talking about the fortress? I've heard mixed things about the efficiency of air cooling in that case with 2xCF.[/citation]The Fortress 2 has good airflow, but any time you crowd cards together you're asking for a heat problem. My friend is having the same problem with 3x GTX 285 in his Cosmos-S.

So, the Fortress 2 fits cards up to the 5970...but you have to remove the fan grill for the 5970. Anything even slightly shorter fits without removing the fan grill. It can hold up to three double-slot cards, depending on the motherboard you use. If the last video card slot is the second slot from the bottom, the card fits.

If you try to put a double-slot card into the bottom slot of a motherboard, you'll run into problems as the card overtakes drive area. That's not a problem with the Silverstone case, it's a problem with a bad motherboard design.

Loads of companies make poorly designed motherboards with the third card in the bottom slot...examples are all of Gigabyte's X58 and most Asus X58 boards. The only X58 boards with the slots laid out properly from Asus are the P6T, some of the WS-series, and the Rampage III Extreme.

G

When it comes to a case that is designed above the rest price is no matter. I've been using the ASUS VENTO 3600 for the past 4 years and I would trash it for this case in a heart-beat. I have to have one of these cases.

G

this is humorous, This product review on thermaltake facebook got 100% praise, I see a few things that deterred me from this case. although it is a unique design, it has no liquid cooling option, big disappointment I have 2 cooling units on my rig just for my video, and it stays +/- 10 of room temperature. this new case is an expensive space heater. but at a LAN, it'll win on looks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Voleris[/nom]but at a LAN, it'll win on looks.[/citation]
I've seen a lot of gamers...unless they have a carts it's unlikely most will be able to get this thing from the parking lot to the tournament.

bCubed

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I have the Fortress 2 and I am loving it. Considering its great cooling design while being very quiet and its only ~$200. Way better case IMO.

G

I don't find the level 10 very attractive... But i'll take it if someone gave it to me.

G

I was looking at the Fortress 2 as a possibility but some of the the 5870's have the connectors at the end of the card so you have to add the extra space needed for the right angled connectors. It should be fine, but still!

Also, the GPU cards exhaust out of the grille at the rear of the card, which is an inch or less from the most useless part of the fan (the centre which blows little, but what it does blow is...) presumably blowing into the GPU exhaust grille?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]spacejazz[/nom]I was looking at the Fortress 2 as a possibility but some of the the 5870's have the connectors at the end of the card so you have to add the extra space needed for the right angled connectors. It should be fine, but still!Also, the GPU cards exhaust out of the grille at the rear of the card, which is an inch or less from the most useless part of the fan (the centre which blows little, but what it does blow is...) presumably blowing into the GPU exhaust grille?[/citation]
GPU exhausts out of the back of the card, which is the top of that case with the Fortress 2, since the back of the case is on top. That's like, 4 inches from the GPU fan?

rfox911

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
You know what i honestly dont understand how ANYONE could fork out that much money for a thermaltake level 10, you can get so many high preforming cases for a good 300 instead of 800 or 900 wow.
But i guess if you have the money go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.