Nov 14, 2021
Guys i have ryzen 5 5600x with box cooler and its hot (up to 85C) so i want to add some bigger cooler case is thermaltake versa n23 and the cooler i want is BQ dark rock 4 pro.
Moba is asus prime b450 plus.
Gpu rtx 3060ti.
And the rams are small g skill 3200 so i think the cooler can go above them.
Case says up to 160mm and cooler is 159.51 so its close.

Ty for help.

Last edited:
Solution
From what I can find, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is 163mm tall, so it shouldn't fit in your case. The regular Dark Rock 4 version does fit, as it is 159mm in height. Not sure about RAM compatibility, though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You won't need the Pro4 to cool a 65w Ryzen. The DR4 is plenty good enough, as are most of the better 120mm coolers like Noctua NH-U12S or Arctic eSports Duo.

You might consider undervolting the cpu also as a means to lower temps in a big way, cpus are factory preset to run higher voltages to cover the needs of Every manufactured cpu, but that doesn't necessarily mean your cpu actually needs that amount.

You can try Clocktuner2 or Project Hydra at guru3d.com.

Last edited:
Reactions: Null89
Nov 14, 2021
You won't need the Pro4 to cool a 65w Ryzen. The DR4 is plenty good enough, as are most of the better 120mm coolers like Noctua NH-U12S or Arctic eSports Duo.

You might consider undervolting the cpu also as a means to lower temps in a big way, cpus are factory preset to run higher voltages to cover the needs of Every manufactured cpu, but that doesn't necessarily mean your cpu actually needs that

You might consider undervolting the cpu also as a means to lower temps in a big way, cpus are factory preset to run higher voltages to cover the needs of Every manufactured cpu, but that doesn't necessarily mean your cpu actually needs that amount.

You can try Clocktuner2 or Project Hydra at guru3d.com.

Il go for the no pro version it looks still better then the smaller coolers and il try the undervolt saw on yt some vids about it.

Thanks for the tips.

Nov 14, 2021
I got the dr4 pro version on black friday, was 30% cheaper and today i instaled it.
the cpu temp is around 30 C lower when runing cyberpunk :D on idle around
15-20C.
The case thermaltake versa says that u can install coolers up to 160mm but the 162-163mm drp4 got in and it touches the side panel (its not glass) but it didnt bend it.
The cooler looks great and for the price that i got it 60% of noctua d15 its best buy for me. And noctua is around 5mm taller.

Now next step is some small oc or undervolt. Can i use the ryzen app that got that turbo mode? Or is it best to set iz up manualy? I dont want my pc too crash from undervolting cpu.

And the rams got a lot space but u cant change them without removing the fan on the dr4p. (G. Skill aegis 3200hz the ones without heatsink).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Guru3d.com. Look up Dram Calculator and (offsite) Thaiphoon Burner. Also at Guru is CTR 2.1 or Project Hydra. Those are great for bumping up ram performance (bumps up Ryzen performance) and undervolting (bumps up Ryzen performance and lowers temps). There's also tutorial videos on what to set in bios and how to use them. I have a profile setup as a backup, just in case I need to clear bios/cmos, I can just reload the dram settings.

Intels gain with pure clock speeds. Ryzens gain with efficiency. A Ryzen at 50°C can process faster at 4.4GHz than the same Ryzen at 70°C and 4.4GHz. Which means more fps. My cinebench scores are higher at full core 4.2GHz and 62°C than they are at 4.4GHz full core and 84°C

Nov 14, 2021
Thanks for info i did not know that.
Do i set the fans on the cpu cooler to work at 100% at lower temp? Now its at 70C. The sound of them is ok at 100%

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Trial and error. You'll go around a few times. Getting the voltages down from stock will drop the temps. Lower temps mean the Ryzen will be more efficient, may even boost higher on more cores, so net result is same temps, but far better performance. Then you'd worry about playing around with case fan and cpu fan curves, which hopefully will lower the temps more, which may or may not mean higher boosts across more cores etc.

Give a little, take a little, rinse and repeat until you can't get any more efficiency out of the cpu, you get the best boosts, highest fps, lowest temps and remain stable. It'll all depend on you, how much time you want to invest, where your level of 'good enuff' sits. What you can and cannot live with.