[SOLVED] thermaltake overseer refurbishment

Sep 27, 2020
So ive got a thermaltake overseer, its a little injured. The front power button no longer works im gonna fix it just need cables resodered to the power button. Same with new leds got that all figured out. Al though this is really about the front panel connectors specificly the usb 3.0 cables they pull right out of the sheilding for the panel but cant find a replacement online i have a request out to thermaltake right now but i dont think they will be any help as it is a discontinued case heres a picture so you know what im talking about. any advice, would be great to just replace the whole io panel but dont think im gonna find one. by the way this did cable went in where you can make out the lettering on the side and will slide right back in there the broken part is where the cable connects to the motherboard. Trying to keep this case as stock or stock alike as possible.

In case any one asks im trying to fix this one cause im picky its not about money cant find cases i really like out there now

i will also post the lettering and my camera blured it a bit it says YF-USB3.0, and i think i found a model on that pcb i think its yf-1208-3 although websearching that was no help
well any ways thanks for any help any ones able to give

63Za1c.jpg

Solution
Buy any USB 3.0 expansion with internal motherboard headers. That should have all the parts needed to swap out that connector, I would think. Some tricky soldering, but not surface mount at least.

https://www.amazon.com/RGEEK-Ports-Female-Motherboard-Header/dp/B07QQQ27MV

Power and reset switches aren't complicated, nor the power and HDD activity LEDs. Audio is about the same as USB, but again, you could get discrete audio headers and just bypass that little circuit board entirely. Would just be a matter of mounting them behind the outside of the case securely.

Depends how far you want to take it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Buy any USB 3.0 expansion with internal motherboard headers. That should have all the parts needed to swap out that connector, I would think. Some tricky soldering, but not surface mount at least.

https://www.amazon.com/RGEEK-Ports-Female-Motherboard-Header/dp/B07QQQ27MV

Power and reset switches aren't complicated, nor the power and HDD activity LEDs. Audio is about the same as USB, but again, you could get discrete audio headers and just bypass that little circuit board entirely. Would just be a matter of mounting them behind the outside of the case securely.

Depends how far you want to take it.

Solution
Sep 27, 2020
eh audio is fine works great still just the power button which ive already dismantled tested the cables them selfs by shorting them together pc comes on cables just have to be resodered to the button need money to buy all the equipment usb is only thing i was concered with the 3.0s are hte porblem thanks for your help

Sep 27, 2020
the other option although im loathe to do is is get some thin NONCONDUCTIVE material to replace the pcb and just glue new connectors like the one you linked to it youd never see it from the outside of the case

Sep 27, 2020
update

i took a risk and tried prieing the metal parts of the usb cable off the pcb they are gone now so i imagine your linked part will work perfectly now as oppose to trying to pry the conectors out of the new cables and attaching them to origonals probally gonna be a bit of a pain to allign them properly in there but once i figure that out a dab of hot glue and should work fine

edit and yes the parts that worked before are still working

Last edited: