Thermaltake Pacific R360 D5 Water Cooling Kit Makes A Splash At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Galvanic corrosion - metals that are different enough in composition that they essentially act as an anode and cathode in the water loop which causes a reaction that causes the breakdown of each metal and corrosive buildup.

Most good watercooling loops contain brass, copper, nickel and sometimes even silver. These typically are far less reactive with one another in a loop. Aluminum is further down the anodic index list, causing it to be less-compaitble (more potentially corrosive) than these other metals which are typically used. (see chart at the bottom of the page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion)

I don't really see the point of the extreme water cooling. You only hit slightly higher speeds than a vastly cheaper air cooler in a well ventilated case. Unless you are cooling a top end CPU you are better off getting a better CPU.

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/
As the ole saying goes, a picture is worth .....

corrosion3.jpg

copperaluminumcorrosion.jpeg

But the table at that link explains the science

These have been around forever $255 ... + $35 for the coolant and tubing

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/25897/ex-wat-342/XSPC_Raystorm_EX360_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_DDC_Photon_and_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=g59c683s2175

ex-wat-342.jpg

It's fun and pretty ;)

@JackNaylor: Those are wretched!

There was a day when water cooling brought significant performance gains ... that days is no more. As often as not, with high performance cooling systems, you hit the voltage wall before you hit the temperature wall.

I did a build at the end of 2013 with twin Asus DCII 780s and 4770k (CPU, Asus MoBo and GFX watercooled)

CPU temps are in 60s.... GFX cards drop below 40C.... card VRMs are in high 50s. Two months later did a MSI aie cooled SLI build.... got same OC on CPU w/ Phanteks PH-TC14-PE tho must be said his was waaaay lower voltage, he was certainly a winner in silicon lottery. His cards ran in the 70s and he beat my OC by a tiny bit on the cards.

Biggest difference you ask ? You could sit at my desk with both CPU and GFX card stress tests running and you can't tell my system is on.... His, it's kinda loud (for my tastes anyway). Anyone who goes into an Intel / nVidia build looking for a significant performance boost from going under water, I advise to "expect to be disappointed". Especially with GFX cards, nVidia has locked down the allowable voltage increase so much these days that the cards are virtually indestructable. I have not seen a 9xx series build (in a reasonably sized case with adequate airflow) with a MSI Gaming, Gigabyte G1 or even Asus Strix get anywhere near their GPU throttling points. If anything is going to curtail performance on these cards, it's likely to be the VRM.

My reasons for wc'ing are aesthetics and sound. Yes, I do draw some comfort knowing that if I get an unusually happy CPU I might get an extra 0.1 GHz or 2 but mostly I am looking for something to appreciate aesthetically and that doesn't make a sound.

deadtomatoes

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I don't really see the point of the extreme water cooling. You only hit slightly higher speeds than a vastly cheaper air cooler in a well ventilated case. Unless you are cooling a top end CPU you are better off getting a better CPU.

and deathly quiet even at full load while keeping your parts below 50-60C. it's quite high for me coz my ambient temps are between 32-35C. for cooler areas, they get lower temps. and turkey3_scratch is correct, it was fun to build and looks good too.

Bobs Your Uncle

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
@JackNaylorPE posted a link to the XSPC Raystorm EX360 Extreme Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit as sold through FrozenCPU.

FrozenCPU appears to have been closed since February 2015

Lutfij

Titan
FrozenCPU appears to have been closed since February 2015
That was what I was going to go around to say until I scoped out FrozenCPU's Facebook page to learn that the company is not functioning well in spite of the warm message on FrozenCPU's main page.

FCPU reopened and was working on reestablishing many of their business relationships. Given the history, I expect they are facing a few obstacles.

I still use the web site though as the best place to find what I am looking for; searching PerformancePcs bloated site is aggravating. So what I do is find the product on FCPU and then do a web search on the catalog number

Yeah with the major decrease in wattage and heat of electronics, water cooling is becoming less relevant. Just think of the upcoming Polaris and Pascal GPUs - they sound like they won't be needing too much heat to dissipate!

Lutfij

Titan
Yeah with the major decrease in wattage and heat of electronics, water cooling is becoming less relevant.
I can't comprehend that line though...

For one with the advent of lower TDP in some of your components, in terms of heat dissipation, would mean you can go for streamlined setups i.e thinner radiator or thicker rads with a near silent operation to look forward to. Air cooling means you are working above ambient air temperature but never reaching close to it. With watercooling that is "somewhat" reversed. You can get down to near ambient but then again that will be covered when you're prepping your loop via Delta calc's. If you've followed up on physics, then you'll know that water is a better conductor of heat than air and the transportation of heat from your components to the outside is much more efficient than when going for aircooling.

Did it ever occur that the best air cooling results come from large tower cases? Whereas when you're dealing with cramped quarters, aircooling isn't found to be an effective thermal solution.

Now to rewind to the lower TDP point, this is a plus for people looking towards compact systems. Manufacturers can now offer slimmer, more power efficient systems to the masses and in turn are able to choose much smaller enclosures for their systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.