Thermaltake PSU warranty question.

Long Silog

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
Thermaltake PSU has 10 years warranty and requires proof of purchase (receipt). Do they honor the 10 years warranty even if you bought the PSU from 3rd party seller (local computer shops)? I've read in their warranty page "Any warranty claims that cannot be processed through your original point of purchase should be addressed directly to Thermaltake HQ.".

Solution
You do realize that:
1. That article is very old. Was published in 2012. Also, at that time, Thermaltake gave max 7 years of warranty for their high-end PSUs.
2. That article isn't conclusive since it's missing the best and biggest names in PSU world, namely Seasonic and Super Flower.

Found this:
Please Note:

1. Warranty period depends on different region, please consult it with your product purchase place if you have question about the warranty period.
2. In order to speed up the RMA procedures, please provide purchase invoice while repair and replacement.
3. The period of warranty may vary depending on where you purchased your product; please verify the return policy with the retailer where you purchased your product. Any...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It is as it's said. Meaning that if the store from where you purchased your PSU doesn't want to accept and deal with it's warranty, let's say, 8 years to the future, you'll contact Thermaltake directly and deal with the warranty process with them.

Long Silog

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Yeah. I just wanted to make sure that I understood that correctly because the shop here only offers 1 year warranty. Thank you.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
10 years of warranty with your PSU is brand warranty while 1 year of warranty is local warranty. Meaning that within 1 year of purchase, you can RMA your PSU to your shop and within next 9 years from that point, you can RMA your PSU directly to Thermaltake.

This is so all over the world, unless stated otherwise by the PSU brand/OEM. E.g i live in EU and according to EU law, all consumer electronics must have at least 2 years of warranty. Thing is that i have Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium PSU in use and Seasonic offers it 12 years! of warranty. While my local store may not deal with my RMA process after the 2 years has passed, i can always contact Seasonic to get my RMA done during that 12 year period.

Long Silog

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Here is where I get confused though. Other sites says that Thermaltake won't honor a warranty if it is bought from an unauthorized seller. Like it says on this website https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/838-pc-hardware-warranty-comparison/Page-5

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You do realize that:
1. That article is very old. Was published in 2012. Also, at that time, Thermaltake gave max 7 years of warranty for their high-end PSUs.
2. That article isn't conclusive since it's missing the best and biggest names in PSU world, namely Seasonic and Super Flower.

Found this:
Please Note:

1. Warranty period depends on different region, please consult it with your product purchase place if you have question about the warranty period.
2. In order to speed up the RMA procedures, please provide purchase invoice while repair and replacement.
3. The period of warranty may vary depending on where you purchased your product; please verify the return policy with the retailer where you purchased your product. Any warranty claims that cannot be processed through your original point of purchase should be addressed directly to Thermaltake HQ. Email : info@thermaltake.com
source: https://my.thermaltake.com/csWarranty.aspx

According to this, you need to contact your store and ask if they're willing to uphold the warranty period offered by Thermaltake.

Though, a lot has changed in PSU world in the past 6 years and if you worry so much about Thermaltake PSU build quality (which would explain the concern of warranty uphold), go with Seasonic instead. Seasonic hasn't made a bad PSU throughout their time they have been in business (40+ years) and that says a lot. Not no mention that Seasonic is also an OEM for many popular brand PSUs, including Corsair, EVGA, NZXT, XFX, Be Quiet! etc.

Also, all my 3x PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.

Here's what Seasonic warranty policy states (highlighted the important part):
Notes:
Since Warranty Periods may vary depending upon geographic region and product type, it is the responsibility of the consumer to check the exact Warranty Period that is printed on the carton. If you are living in a country where the point of sales entity grants a shorter warranty period than what is stated in the Seasonic Worldwide Warranty Policy or what is printed on the packaging carton of your product, Seasonic will always grant you the longer period of time. According to the European Union Directive 1999/44/EC, resellers in Europe have to provide warranty for a minimum period of two years on the products they sell.
The full product Warranty Period is provided for Consumer purchases only; Seasonic retail products purchased by Non-Consumer entities are not subject to the same Warranty Period that is indicated on the product carton and they may not fall under the Seasonic Worldwide Warranty Policy.
source: https://seasonic.com/support

Seasonic is also one of the very few who offers transferable warranty for their PSUs. That too is explained in-depth on their support page.

Solution

Long Silog

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Yeah the mixed reviews and stories about Thermaltake PSUs got me worried. I would just go with a well-known PSU brand like Seasonic as you said. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS