Thermaltake Releases New Frio Extreme CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillboGates

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
U12P-SE2 from noctura, installed in AMD 6 core black edition build 1.5 years ago, dual fan (maybe thermaltake found a marketing loophole because of their sandwich design). Performs beyond well beyond any of my expectations and i beleive can be purchased in the US for around $60 (before we OC his system at idle it ran 2 degrees above ambient, thats the only figure i accurately remember as it shocked me).
U12P-SE2 is so quiet it added no noticeable noise over just running 4 of the 6 thermaltake case fans in that particular system.
Its also worth mentioning they come with cables to adjust the voltage/speed of the cpu fans even if you dont have PWM slots on MOBO. Noctura are kings in my eyes.

BillboGates

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
NH-D14 Noctua, turns out they even had a sandwich design which is years old. One test i saw has quad core AMD @ 4ghz running 51 under full load. Take that Thermaltake. (ps i know that cooler is massive and the fans are slightly ugly but i think gaming cases with LED's and clear side panels are vulgar, so is the design of almost every gaming case ever)

tlmck

Distinguished
I have often wondered how much heat actually dissipates to the top of those things. Pretty soon, your gonna need a separate case just for your cooler.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]Reminds me of the Thermalright Silver Arrow, just IMO.[/citation]
they really need to start making the ram sticks a lot smaller

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
The design looks wrong, one fan blowing its hot air onto another fan.
It should be 2 fans blowing in opposite directions, drawing cold air down the middle...............

G

Using Corsair Dominator LPs, I was able to get 4x4GB into a P8Z68, so they do make RAM sticks small enough to get under the megacoolers.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]they really need to start making the ram sticks a lot smaller[/citation]
Or space the ram slots farther away from the CPU. Might cause a little latency issue, but that will be overshadowed by greater CPU overclock.

B_Type13X2

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Or a third option go for an inclosed water cooling system like one of Corsairs H family and experience higher idle temperatures but fairly good under load temps without the issues associated with a huge air heat sink. People seem to forget the risks they take when they mount something that big and top heavy to their CPU, if you have an air cooler like this you should literally never move your computer more then a few feet with it installed unless you want to risk bending motherboard pins.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Wish I had one right now. Pretty darn cold down here in Florida. The exhaust would prob. warm up a room :)[/citation]

yeah tell me about it... and your in florida. im in vermont!

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]The design looks wrong, one fan blowing its hot air onto another fan.It should be 2 fans blowing in opposite directions, drawing cold air down the middle...............[/citation]
That would probably cause a lot of static bla bla vacuum resistance. I think the point of the 2 fans is to ram the air through.

Saxie81

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
No review, no numbers.... Nothing here other than what's on Thermaltake's website. Another advertisement for Thermaltake. How much did Thermaltake pay to put this up?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
yea, not worth losing two DIMM slots unless you can flip it around. It would be interesting if mobos could come with angles DIMM slots like laptops (but no so angled) for tall memory.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
39 dBA? 250W? WTF? Just what CPU has a 250W thermal profile these days even overclocked??? IMHO, Thermaltake has been bling for the past several years.

Personally, I'll go with Thermalright coolers and Scythe fans - IMHO, similar performance, far, far less noise.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Or space the ram slots farther away from the CPU. Might cause a little latency issue, but that will be overshadowed by greater CPU overclock.[/citation]
what latency issues....it's not like the signal is traveling over long distance....this is not network cable we are talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS