Thermaltake Reveals View 31 And Core P1 With Tempered Glass At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Ok RGB haters, I can understand why every time someone mentions RGB the hate gets poured on and the bashing commences about disco lights and rainbow colours.

This is a prime example, I cannot even defend the RGB here as they didn't even attempt to uniform the colours. Such shame this is supposed to be a show piece.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I guess they expect us to store our Steam, Origin, and UPlay libraries on an NVMe or (horrors!) a normal SATA SSD. Not one 3.5" drive bay in the View 31 it seems.

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
If it weren't for the colouring, those cases wouldn't look too bad. Unfortunately, the colours make those two some of the most hideous cases I've ever seen. Why they decided Pepto pink and that shade of yellow for the cooling liquids is beyond me. And combined with the random mix of rainbow colours... ugh. At least you can choose your own colour schemes.

Ignoring the colours, the View 31 styling looks decent. The Core P1 is not really my style, but I can see it appealing to some.

stoned_ritual

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

It has 3 x 2.5" OR 3.5" bays.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
The innards in the pics are showcasing what can be done... Hardware not included minus fans, which can be changed and the usual case hardware-fanfare, relax... LOL.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
do yourself a favor and buy a regular non-window case with expansions, cause sooner or later you'll get sick tired of looking at computer components through glass and not to mention that if you need upgrades, install other cards, hds or any bays you'll be stuck with pretty useless case !

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

You can always upgrade components in a glass case - not sure your point. It's a personal choice thing. I love glass cases (use the Tou now, but have 2 others that I swap over to when I want to have a change). Other people think they are stupid - cool. But your point above doesn't make sense to me.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

I think they are referring to the hard tube water cooling, which is a nightmare to deal with when you need to clean or god forbid, upgrade a part.

I honestly recommend against water cooling altogether unless you have a space need or a sound need, as a noctua d15 beats many closed loop coolers, and can likely beat them all if you duct the cooler or replace the fans with power powerful albeit noisier fans, oh, and funnily enough, the d15 also is quieter at idle and load then closed loops.

custom loops, they may be able to squeak out a win, but looking at my little brothers that corroded, had algae grow, and lost an o ring one of the times he cleaned it, its just nor worth it.

considering the difference between the best closed loop and the d15 was only 4c in that test... the worth is completely lost on me, would like to know if what im looking at was a 100% fan load or just what the motherboard decided would be good for the load it was given.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
@ alidan:

Nope, no air cooler is going to come close to a dedicated water setup.

I'm rocking the Thermaltake P5, using a 480mm all-copper rad, and no I do not use the hard tubing, because as you said, it is inconvienent.

No matter what I do - gaming, folding overnight, my CPU has never seen over 42C, even with 14 cores flat out. Thats 168W continuous for half a day, or more sometimes. Cores typically sit in the high 20's.

Do that on air.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

the d15 beats out most closed loop coolers, hell, depending on case the 212 evo can beat out a closed loop cooler, though I think the person who did that review was a moron.

now as for how cool the cpu is. does it matter? you have to dissipate the heat no matter what, so you are always dissipating X amount of heat, no cooler is going to change that, the most a closed loop can do is give you a few extra c to play with when overclocking.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6313/noctua-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7301/noctua-nh-d15s-style-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d15_review,11.html

There are more that pit noctua against just air coolers, there are also videos that have a plethora of coolers tested and shows, and noctuas never seems lt lose by much when it does. a good custom closed loop will likely be better, But I have watched the cleaning, when things go wrong, and now much trouble it is to never want to have a water cooler, or ever recommend one when they both cost more than a noctua and do not perform significantly better.

then with ducting the fans
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/fanduct.jpg
That is a poor example, but there are better ways to do it, something rarely benchmarked that significantly improves temperatures. Personally I have a 3d printer and will be making my own custom ducting when I get my new computer, both for getting the air our of my case, and getting it the hell out of my room, but you could make your own with a soda box and some tape if you are really tight on money.

I should also mention that if you look for reviews, see if they let the water in their closed loop cooler heat up first. there were a few where they just took idle and then benchmarked on stock where noctua, in almost any other benchmark is only a few c behind was nearly 20, kind of fun learning how methodology can skew results that should be simple and objective.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
@ alidan (again)

Your 3-D printed custom ducting sound very cool indeed.

But, with regards to the topic of cooling at hand - I stayed away from All In One closed loop setups, and went with a dedicated w/c system. And as stated in my numbers - it pays dividens.

I can't see tweaktown (ad block), but your last link shows 70C for four cores (up to 96C). I usually see 38 - 40C, for FOURTEEN cores. Tis quite a difference. My fans are divided into two pairs of control. Top two come alive at 34C (which means are only on sometimes), and the bottom two come alive at 38C (and thus rarer to see them spin at all).

My present biggest audiable annoyance, is the chipset fan. As I have a rare board, no custom chipset waterblock exists. Somehow I have to find a solution...

Its quite hypnotic to watch the fans spin up and down through the clear panel whilst working.

I usually get 'fuk-in-ell what is that', when someone news sees it for the first time. But then, I have a house full of routers and switches anyway.

Peace.

illrigger

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
@ammaross - The View 31 has 3 universal drive mount points on the rear from what the spec sheet shows. So it can hold standard drives, although not many.

I guess they are figuring you are using NVMe for boot, and you only need a couple of regular drives for mass storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.