Thermaltake Shows Off Iron Man Case Mod at Computex

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
EDIT:

Edited because someone decided to be a complete fool with my TH account. Anyway..
Not a bad mod I must admit but I wish the helmet part opened like in the movie :p

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Pretty cool concept although poorly executed. All this modding to cases make me want to learn how to weld so I can weld a special case =D

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Pretty cool concept although poorly executed. All this modding to cases make me want to learn how to weld so I can weld a special case =D[/citation]
You don't need to know how to weld, first of all the sheet metal on a computer case is so thin you would need a tig (which can take months/years of practice to get good and is expensive). Besides most case mods aren't made with metal, usually wood or plastic/bondo. Also you would be better off learning how to machine parts so make cool things to bolt/screw/rivet/glue onto the case for the mod. (Btw Im a welder with some machining experience, and the only kind of case I could see myself making is an all copper case using welding)

As for the mod, I find it kind of ugly. Having the mask ruins some of the nice touches they did have, I was more impressed by some of the other iron man mods (also the xbox iron man mod is nice) Ive seen.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]You don't need to know how to weld, first of all the sheet metal on a computer case is so thin you would need a tig (which can take months/years of practice to get good and is expensive). Besides most case mods aren't made with metal, usually wood or plastic/bondo. Also you would be better off learning how to machine parts so make cool things to bolt/screw/rivet/glue onto the case for the mod. (Btw Im a welder with some machining experience, and the only kind of case I could see myself making is an all copper case using welding)As for the mod, I find it kind of ugly. Having the mask ruins some of the nice touches they did have, I was more impressed by some of the other iron man mods (also the xbox iron man mod is nice) Ive seen.[/citation]

Interesting, but I didn't mean it as welding a case together. I was thinking more of welding some metal part onto a case itself to make it something insane for instance, slap a tribal shaped piece of metal and Id want to weld it onto case so it wont be a "cheap and half-assed" quality mod. I will figure out a method someday anyways once I have my own place along with money to blow on modding.

G

DroKing - if you practiced with the thin metal of a case, you could tack weld some metal to it with a mig. as an af trained welder/machinst (2A771), sometimes you have to use what you have and improvise to get the job done in the field. if you had the opening in the case behind your add-on, you could also braze it. as for a trbial design or anything complicated, find someone or a company that has a waterjet. you can make some pretty sweet stuff with that.
as for a simple casemod, i did tig weld my whole case and control the air going in and going out. if properly controlled, you can drop the internal temp of the case by around 10c. a steel case is good for that becase it takes more heat to raise the temp of the metal, therefor it acts like an insulator where aluminum heats easier and will pick up outside air temps easier even with a cold interior.

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
It looks like a tombstone to me. But the mask of Egypt Faro looks better than Ironman, which will likely cause nightmare to your young children.

Status
Not open for further replies.