Thermaltake Silent boost A1889 or A1889-01 ? the specs say..

On Mon, 03 May 2004 00:46:42 +1000, We Live For The One We Die For The One
<Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Thermaltake Silent boost A1889 or A1889-01 ? the specs say they are
>the same ?
>
>http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1889b.htm
>
>http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1889a.htm
>

>Which to buy i want the silent one but from the specs, they are the
>same but for one having a Hydrobearing fan ?
>

>Can you help me pick the silent one, anyone one done a comparisan on
>them got some URLS.
>
>Thanks for any help.

Previously I wrote that it used an "L1A" fan. From their spec it appears
that I'm wrong, but also it appears that their specs are wrong in a
different way. AFAIK there is no version of that fan they use that has
ball-bearings, it is the FBL08A12M,
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/appliance/pdf/fbl08a_update.pdf

I'm not sure why they have two pages with different bearings listed but
even on the surface that looks suspicious to have _identical_ specs
otherwise except for life expectancy. I suppose it's possible Panasonic
has now broadened their product line to include a ball-bearing version of
that frame design but they show no evidence of it that I could find.

Of the two versions you listed, IF they really are different, they
hydrowave version should be the quieter of the two,
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1889a.htm ,
but since I was mistaken about the "L1A" fan, a FBL08A12L or FBA08A12L1A
would be 7 db-A quieter or you could use a fan controller, inline
resistor, etc, to reduce the M1A's fan speed. FWIW, I have a system here
with an M1A running on a Thermalright SLK-900, it's quieter than the
drives in that system.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote...

> Previously I wrote that it used an "L1A" fan. From their spec it appears
> that I'm wrong, but also it appears that their specs are wrong in a
> different way.
>
> I'm not sure why they have two pages with different bearings listed but
> even on the surface that looks suspicious to have _identical_ specs
> otherwise except for life expectancy.

This may or may not apply...

I have seen claims among web vendors that "other" vendors may replace "good"
fans in cases with "cheap" fans so they can sell the cases cheaper. I
cannot verify or debunk this claim.

However, I just got a new system in a Lian-Li PC-60 case. Even with the 3
case fans, 2 PS fans, 2 CPU fans, and 3 10K RPM HDs, it is quieter than my
old system with 3 total fans and 2 10K HDs.

I suspect that much of it may be individual perception, and the rest may
only be revealed by individual testing.

Well something smelly is going on Thermaltake are usally Honest are
they not ?