Question Thermaltake Smart 80+ white 500W vs Enermax Cyberbron 500W Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze for a basic pc.

Mar 4, 2023
I know those are the bottom of the barrel but I will ask anyway.
I have a 2016 windows server essential running on an i3 2100 and the motherboard is starting to give up. The server really is used for family backups and sometimes my son uses it as a Minecraft server to play with his friends. So I decided to upgrade. Went to micro center and they had a combo deal with Gigabyte MB and Ryzen 3600. SO I bought it. I also grabbed Thermaltake Smart 80+ white 500W PSU as I would need to replace my 300W one that came with SuperMicro case SuperChassis 731i-300B. I really like the case and definitely like to keep it. Then I saw Enermax Cyberbron 500W Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze for $37 on sale on amazon and ordered it.

Now I'm wondering. Should I use Enermax Cyberbron 500W Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze($37), or Thermaltake Smart 80+ white( $41)? I have done PSU calc and I'm about 280-290 W needed. I could get a Thermaltake Smart 80+ 430W for $30.
What do you guys think?

Mar 4, 2023
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ says 'avoid' and 'replace immidiately' for the Enermax and Thermaltake. Both crappy group regulated units where the Thermaltake is a bit worse than the Enermax. For a server I would prefer a better and more efficient unit.
I know about the list. That list is geared towards mid to high-end systems. You understand that my server is idle 70-90% of the time. If you can suggest for my needs something up to $45. I'm listening.

Mar 4, 2023
That's a SFX PSU. You probably get issues because of the short cables. And it's a not that good PSU because a lack of protections (no OTP).

Pure Power 11 is fine. Better than BM2 and probably the best up to $70.
May I ask how do you know that Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 80+ Gold is SFX PSU? It is in the Tier C • Low-end list under speculative position
My case is a micro-atx, so there is not much distance between PSU and the connectors.

Mar 4, 2023
If I use the weblink you posted it brings me to a SFX unit, not to a GX2. GX2 lacks OTP too. That's why it's in Tier C and speculated because there are no proper reviews.
Hey. What do you think about EVGA 220-G5-0650-X1 Super Nova 650 G5, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular, ECO Mode with Fdb Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WDLTKNM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thinking to order an in-good condition return for $62. I can always send it back if it does not look good.

What do you think?

Hey. What do you think about EVGA 220-G5-0650-X1 Super Nova 650 G5, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular, ECO Mode with Fdb Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WDLTKNM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thinking to order an in-good condition return for $62. I can always send it back if it does not look good.

What do you think?
Supernova G5 is fine. Make sure are the modular cables are included.

Mar 4, 2023
I have another question about SATA connections. I have 3 drives backplane. SATSASBAY3BK It uses 2 SATA connectors. On the power supply, there are 2 SATA plugins but I believe each one of them can connect to 3-4 SATA drives. Do I want to use both cables and connect 1 SATA connecter from each cable to the backplane or use one cable to connect it to 2 backplane connectors? I hope it makes sense what I'm asking.