Thermaltake Tough Power 650W, A Good PSU?

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello Everyone. Lets jump into the topic! So i was looking for a Budget PSU for my system and i have found one! Its a Thermaltake Tough Power 650W.

I am getting it for very cheap and with box and all accessories! Condition is also superb! Just for $22.57!

Here is my Build!

Intel Xeon E3-1245 V3
Cooler Mater Hyper 212 LED TURBO Cooler
Asus Q87M-E
1x8GB RAM
500GB Seagate 7200 RPM
Msi Gaming X GTX 1060 6GB
Cooler master MB600L Case
RGB Keyboard
RGB Mouse
RGB Speakers
RGB Headphones

Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Depends on the exact version of the TP-650. But I believe that one might be manufactured by Seasonic, one of the better OEMs. If it originally came with a 5 year warranty, then yes. Otherwise, probably not.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

But Eximo suggested a Cx450! A CX600 wouldn't be better?

Nope, not at all.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

You mean CX450 is better than a CX600?

Newer model that doesn't have a history of cooking PC parts.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Let me guess, CX450 is newer and CX600 is older... Right?

Exactly.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

First, 450W is not enough for my system.

Second, I cannot find a NEWER CX450 here in Pakistan

Third, I don't have budget for a BRAND NEW PSU. I am looking on olx.com.pk for used PSUs.

Fourth, I am currently using an Antec VP450. It is not enough for my system:(

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see why 450W from a quality PSU wouldn't be enough. Only looking at about a 250W system, if that.

Same PSU in India, new, from Amazon: https://in.pcpartpicker.com/product/Q7L7YJ/corsair-cx-2017-450w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020120-na

CX600 is another, adequate, but not great power supply. They have a habit of premature failure. I don't think they are well known for failing badly though.

Here's the CX650: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MRW2K7E/?tag=pcp03-21

Another popular recommendation: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B005O8PNSM/?tag=pcp03-21

I know they are expensive, but they are the core of the system. The last place you want to skimp on.

Yes, he is correct.

Although I wouldn't classify the newer CX series as GOOD however, they are serviceable if on a strict budget. It's normally recommended to get a higher quality unit.

But don't expect them to last as long as the higher grade non budget units.

I will say it again.... Don't buy any used PSU..... Especially a budget grade PSU like the ones you are looking at as most aren't even worth buying new, even less spending money on a used one.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No I am not kidding, and cursing is discouraged here. That Antec of yours is an older split rail design. You have two 12V rails designed for up to 216W each. So if your CPU and GPU are on the same rail, you might not have enough power under all circumstances. Mind that was when the supply was new. They do age over time and become capable of less power delivery. You use of a wiring adapter to get an 8-pin out of a 6-pin isn't the worst thing ever. It can cause excess heating on the wires though, which can cause voltage droop (caused by increased wire resistance), which may be limiting power delivery. Ideally you would take 12V from each half of the supply to help balance it out, though really you should invest in a new power supply.

A single rail PSU such as the later CX models, gives out basically 450W or 650W on a single rail at 12V. So no wiring issues and load balancing issues can't present themselves. Also rated at more reasonable temperatures. A lot of the cheaper supplies will have silly ratings like 300W at 25C, barely above room temperature which is just not realistic in a computer.

I try my best to get people what they can afford, but there are limits to everything. PC gaming requires a bit more power than your typical OEM or office build. Its this or consoles.

I note you were running 1280x1024. A very low resolution, you might try V-sync to cap the FPS at 60hz to keep the GPU from running at maximum, at least temporarily.

Aside from tracking down someone who recently upgraded to dual GPUs or something, that you personally know, I wouldn't go after used power supplies. You never know what they were used for. With the recent crypto currency mining craze dying down, I suspect you will find many abused power supplies on the used market.

-edit can to can't

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Thanks Eximo. You are Great! By the way... What About an Antec TP-650?

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

i surely understand brother! But i am on a strict budget. None of the components in my PC are new. I belong to a middle classed family.... Gaming is my passion and I want to be a PC Game Programmer in future. Sadly, there is no PC game producing industry in Pakistan.....

I am trying to find an Antec TP-650.... What do you say?