Review Thermaltake ToughRAM DDR4-4400 Review: RGB Light Or Silver & White?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I need an RGB screw for my M.2, as well!

<eye roll>
They probably wanted separate reviews for the White and the RGB. We couldn't find a performance difference between the two, and even ran the O/C and latency reduction tests on both sets just to make sure there wasn't anything else to discuss. You save $10 by going LED-free, and that's basically where the discussion ends.

Jun 1, 2020
I brought 2 16gb kits of this memory 4400mhz - can't get anyware close to 4400mhz running 2 kits :( have a X570 chipset , it runs a single kit fine (16gb) but can't get memory stable above 3688mhz running 2 kits (32gb) .
Quite disappointed by MSI support and thermaltake support both be terrible

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I brought 2 16gb kits of this memory 4400mhz - can't get anyware close to 4400mhz running 2 kits :( have a X570 chipset , it runs a single kit fine (16gb) but can't get memory stable above 3688mhz running 2 kits (32gb) .
You'd probably get more performance by shooting for the lowest stable timings at DDR4-3733 anyway:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310-2.html

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
RAM is only guaranteed to run at its rated speed when all sticks are purchased in a single kit, so what you're seeing is not unexpected and not MSI or Thermaltake's fault.

There's really not much benefit to running anything faster than ~3600-3800 MHz RAM with Ryzen 3000 to begin with though. Given that speeds higher than that usually don't allow you to set the infinity fabric clock 1:1 with memory clock, higher speeds can actually hurt in some cases. Particularly latency sensitive applications IIRC.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020
Think I'll look at that tonight, would my better option be to just get a 32gb kit 2x 16gb
32GB DDR4 4000Mhz (2x16GB) Corsair , would I have better chances of achieving fill speed this way?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Think I'll look at that tonight, would my better option be to just get a 32gb kit 2x 16gb
32GB DDR4 4000Mhz (2x16GB) Corsair , would I have better chances of achieving fill speed this way?
With AMD, your best performance option is to find the highest stable data rate that allows a synchronized FCLK and UCLK. Typically, that's DDR4-3733 or, if you're lucky, DDR4-3800. How you get there (higher or lower rated kits) is up to you.

Then you play with memory timings to get more performance. CAS 16 is usually achievable at DDR4-3733 and 1.35V when using high-end kits. If you apply more voltage, you can often shoot for even tighter timings.

Of course, the greatest performance benefit comes from having two ranks per channel rather than one, and using four single-rank modules on a dual-rank platform already gets you there.

Jun 1, 2020
im currently running at 3866mhz using 18-22-22-40 1.45v, The standard timings are 19-25-25-45 1.45v.
not sure if thats the best of if i should try lower the timings and go for 3733 like you have suggested. i have found 3866mhz stable been running a week now at this speed. would prefer more but looks like it isnt going to happen. im very new to timing and manually adjusting so if my timings could be impoved please let me know and ill try some different settings.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
im currently running at 3866mhz using 18-22-22-40 1.45v, The standard timings are 19-25-25-45 1.45v.
not sure if thats the best of if i should try lower the timings and go for 3733 like you have suggested. i have found 3866mhz stable been running a week now at this speed. would prefer more but looks like it isnt going to happen. im very new to timing and manually adjusting so if my timings could be impoved please let me know and ill try some different settings.
the real requestion is whether your FCLK is running stabley at 1933 MHz and your UCLK is running 1:1 with your memory clock:

qXzXpBNuxTCKqcMesrKQ3j-650-80.png

Anything slightly above synchronized settings is probably the worst option.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310-2.html

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you google "ryzen 3000 memory overclocking guide" there are some pretty good resources out there.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that for anything past around 3200 MHz CL16 you're probably not going to see a difference outside of benchmarks anyway.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you google "ryzen 3000 memory overclocking guide" there are some pretty good resources out there.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that for anything past around 3200 MHz CL16 you're probably not going to see a difference outside of benchmarks anyway.
Sure, but if you Google "Ryzen Above" you'll find an article that points out why most performance seekers are better off not overclocking their memory beyond the maximum stable frequency of their FCLK and UCLK ;)

Dec 23, 2020
I have done the same thing on an the X570 aorus master mobo and am having the same issue. I have however got them to 3800mhz CL16 by using AMD ryzen master software and doing it manually. I had to also set the voltage to 1.45 but that is what the RAM is rated at anyway. This is the highest I can get it with the infinity fabric and keeping it 1:1. I was thinking of sending it back but I think it would cost just as much (approx. £300) to get another kit that does 3800mhz CL16 and I'm not sure its worth the hassle for a difference that I am very unlikely to notice during use anyway.