Thermaltake Versa J24 RGB - Case Fan Questions

Krazyhawk

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Hey there, and thanks in advance.

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computer hardware. I've recently upgraded my case to the Thermaltake Versa J24 RGB Edition. Everything is working great, now I am just making little tweaks.

I have a ASRock Z97 Extreme4 motherboard, which doesn't have an RGB header on it. So, the fans on the case are plugged into the sync which came with the case, and the sync is connected to the PSU. The cable that is supposed to be plugged into my mobo I just left there, since there is no where to put it. I can control the fan colors through a button on the case, no problem.

My questions are:

1) Since the fans go to the sync and the sync is connected to the PSU, does that mean that the fans are running at 100% since there is nothing "controlling" them?

2) How could I go about a way of connecting the sync in the case to be able to control the fan speed? Whether that's a way to the motherboard or some other method (without upgrading my mobo to one with an rgb header)

3) Bonus question - I ordered a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer CPU Cooler. Would I plug that fan into the cpu fan header on the mobo? I know you can control the fan speed / fan curve through the bios, should that fan be 100% since it'll double as the exhaust fan?

Any and all answers are super helpful. I've been scowering forums trying to piece information together, and feel like I just need a bit more information for it all to click. I appreciate your time and response!

Please let me know if there is any more info I could provide to be helpful :)

Solution
1) Yes, they are running at 100%. There is nothing controlling them.

2) You can't... at least not straightforwardly. The fans use Thermaltake's proprietary 6-pin connector. While I am sure someone figured out how to create an improvised connector compatible with their motherboard's fan header, it will most likely not be a simple fix.

3) The fan should be connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard. It does not need to be running at 100% 24/7. On the other hand, the pump should operating at 100% (DC setting in BIOS).

Connecting the case's switch to the motherboard's RGB header will not alter fan speed. It is solely for controlling/syncing RGB lighting.
1) Yes, they are running at 100%. There is nothing controlling them.

2) You can't... at least not straightforwardly. The fans use Thermaltake's proprietary 6-pin connector. While I am sure someone figured out how to create an improvised connector compatible with their motherboard's fan header, it will most likely not be a simple fix.

3) The fan should be connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard. It does not need to be running at 100% 24/7. On the other hand, the pump should operating at 100% (DC setting in BIOS).

Connecting the case's switch to the motherboard's RGB header will not alter fan speed. It is solely for controlling/syncing RGB lighting.

Solution

Krazyhawk

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it.