Thermaltake's Awesome BMW-designed Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I love it!
I have a feeling that cooling will be an issue. No aftermarket heatsinks fitting in there, and obviously no water loops.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
This actually has a cool concept. Why not seperate all the devices into seperate little boxes, instead of one big box, and give each box it's own intake and exhaust fan. Theirs some kinks to work out but I'm sure it could be done neatly and inexpensively. The motherboard and pci-express/pci adapters would have to be in the same box though, no way around that without limiting performance with extentions.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
As long as each component has fans to circulate air, cool. Otherwise that case is complete trash. At any rate, I wouldn't want to buy it, it looks too weird. Their cars look good though, but they aren't mercedes benz :)

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Pure trash; the case looks so Expo-86ish. How about something purely design follow function. I guess we need Japanese engineer to come up with something amazing.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Wow... I was expecting an Asus Vento design with a BMW style grill where the fan intakes belongs. More and more computer cases look like a vegetable drawer, and a meat drawer from a refrigerator were glued together and called a case. To make the design professional you square the edges and make it white, or black. To make it extreme, you round the edges or make corners great then 90 degrees, and add a window. I wouldn't want to pay 500 dollars for a case, but this thing looks amazing. It's not totally foreign, you can look at it and take a guess at what everything is for, but its different enough so it doesn't look like every other case out their. Very refreshing.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I love it! I have a feeling that cooling will be an issue. No aftermarket heatsinks fitting in there, and obviously no water loops.[/citation]
Actually I can see that one could put water cooling in that design. There is a lot of space left under the cdrom drive that could be used to house an integrated water cooling solution. The water would only have to cool the metal that is touching the HDD's, and the fan that is over the CPU could cool the water like a radiator. There would be plenty of room in the module that holds everything up to run water lines. May not be half inch, but it could be done and work well.

I like the design and is very different...

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
LOL I got -5 for saying mercedes benz is superior to bmw. but face it, it is :) what do they drive on the autobahn? mercedes pass all the ferraris and lamborghinis. a bmw would get eaten alive.

G

I built a custom case for a customer similar to this one. It was made of copper sheets, and by using a 2.5" hdd, a laptop dvd burner, a riser card for the wifi, and hacking a 1u psu, I was able to keep the case thinner than a 1u and only a little bigger than an atx mobo.

The only thing sticking out of the case were some massive heatsinks, but they were part of the aesthetic.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
On a more serious note, my generic cases do the job real well and I haven't had heat issues. The only problem I can see is that one of them has a side fan. AMD suggests that you take air in the front of the case and exhaust through the rear, so the side fan probably disrupts air flow but that one I haven't really been sure if it makes a big difference or not on. I have 2 fans in front as I recall and 2 in the rear. Hard drives these days appear to be running a lot cooler than when I first got into 7200rpm IDE hard drives. I read a review recently on some 1tb drives on tom's hardware and the deskstar was substantially cooler than the other 7200rpm models which amazed me because they earned their bad name by thermal expansion and contraction problems on the platters of the 40gb model years ago. What I've seen the PC market really need is better made external bays for hard drives. Most of them don't have any fans at all and, although the drives don't appear to heat up as much as older drives, heat is still an issue.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
That is an awsome looking concept... single wall for support and cable routing. As others have mentioned I can easily see cooling issues with the design. One solution might be a TEC cooler if they can place many cold plates in/on each of the compartments and then a single hotplate in its own compartment that would be ventilated...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Hey, nothing wrong with Expo 86! The Skytrain's still running fine[/citation]

Took it to work this morning.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]techpros[/nom]This is an awesome looking case. I hope they sell it.www.tech-pros.com[/citation]

Like I told you in another thread, please stop posting useless comments and then linking to your site. The comments section is not for free advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS