Thermaltake's Core V1 Case is Small but Capable

Status
Not open for further replies.

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Good idea and like the overall design, but cable management looks like a nightmare and noise might be a problem if you go for performance parts.

jbheller

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I am concerned that the design uses 80mm fans. I thought we had moved on from that. Either they will not blow enough air, or be too noisy when driven at high RPM.I suppose if you use a couple of Noctua NF-R8 PWM 80mm Case Fans you could get some effective, quiet cooling, but these are $20 each. Is there any front air filters?

The miniITXs are becoming more and more attractive.

I just wish that GPUs manufacturers would make more blower designs for their cards, I really do no want that hot air in such a small chassis coupled with 80mm fans.

Maybe 140mm radiator in from that somehow exhausts air could work.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
It seems like quite a nice case, but I'd rather they had gone for an SFX power supply, as
they could have then moved the motherboard down, made the case a couple centimetres taller, and allow for a bigger exhaust fan. There's not much point having a nice slow, quiet 200mm front fan if you've got 80mm fans struggling to then get rid of the hot air.

I like the minimalist design. Seems like it's all you would need in an ITX case even supporting full-sized power supplies.

Like jbheller, I have reservations about 80mm fan noise. If they could figure in a mount for a single 120 or 140 off the back of the top-back, this would be good.

Also, if someone could come up with a way to incorporate a TV tuner on an ITX motherboard and the complimentary coax connection off the back, it would make for the ultimate compact gaming/HTPC combo. Tablo or Simple.TV (or other varios devices) could cover this for the whole home network if they never did incorporate it, though.

All in all this case seems pretty good, but I'd be curious to see how the drive mounts fit into the design.

lp231

Splendid
This case only has 2x 3.5" bays that also has mounting holes for 2.5" drives. If you install a HDD on both of them, there is no room to install a SSD.
Also this case seems to lack any cable management. All your PSU wires are bunched up and stuffed in the front.
15gzgo7.jpg

This case only has 2x 3.5" bays that also has mounting holes for 2.5" drives. If you install a HDD on both of them, there is no room to install a SSD.
Also this case seems to lack any cable management. All your PSU wires are bunched up and stuffed in the front.

...seriously dude? So stick a SSD on the wall. Or on top of the hard drives. Or upside down underneath the motherboard. They don't have moving parts, so there is no reason for them to have to go in regular hard drive slots.

Also, regarding cable management, that's one of the sacrifices you have to make to get very small form factors, unfortunately. I'll admit that this doesn't have much room, and that the photo did not do a good job of cable management, but with a decent PSU with the OEM's shorter cables, it wouldn't be too much of a worry.

Where no mounts are available, Velcro always works well when it comes to mounting SSDs.

It's good to know there won't be any included mounts once two HDDs take up the space in this case though.

From a cable management standpoint, I'm thinking a good 550W or 650W modular would be good in this case with velcro zip ties. It's all about the velcro.

lp231

Splendid

The article sounds like you can install all 4 drives (2 HDDs and 2 SSDs) all at the same time, but that is not the case, so I made that post to clear things up.
I know you can install the SSD almost anywhere, like velcro tape on to the wings of a Boeing 747. Don't forget to buy extremely long SATA and power cables. But these don't exist, so a call to the factory is required. Just ask them to make one with the length of 25,000 miles or 41,000 kilometers.
Most setup will just have 1 SSD + 1 HDD, so there is no point of even using velcro.
1tt20y.jpg

Ahh, going back and re-reading it, I see what you mean - that was my bad; I both didn't notice the phrasing in the article and took your posting wrong.

(Haha, I see that I'm far from the norm with two SSDs and three HDDs in my mini-itx box.)

Leo Hung

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
I found it interesting. But where is the optical drive bay? I want to be able to put my bluray drive on it :p

Other than that, all those holes would be dust paradise! :(

Most of us don't use optical drives anymore - there's not that much point to them with all the alternative methods we have now, and it's nice to have at least some options that cut it in the name of size. :)

And if you have decent airflow through the thing, dust won't be that bad of a worry. I mean, there's probably less open area for airflow in this case than a typical full-sized case. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.