Thermaltake's New 'Turbo Charge' PSU and CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
And what's the use for that turbo mode? Will the PSU still fail if you push it too high without first pushing the button, or will it switch automatically?

If it isn't automatic, I find little point in this tech. I'd rather get a PSU with thos additional 50watts from the start.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
So what is this, power supply overclocking? I don't think I want that on the one component that's capable of killing my entire PC.

And for that CPU cooler - seriously? What kind of motherboard has the space for that? Depending on the direction of it, you'll hit the back of the case, the top of it (or the power supply if it's mounted there), the ram, or the GPU. Stupid...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]So what is this, power supply overclocking? I don't think I want that on the one component that's capable of killing my entire PC. And for that CPU cooler - seriously? What kind of motherboard has the space for that? Depending on the direction of it, you'll hit the back of the case, the top of it (or the power supply if it's mounted there), the ram, or the GPU. Stupid...[/citation]

Technically, under the right conditions, overclocking your CPU can also kill your entire PC (or just about). But, I don't know that there is often a case where someone would want to run their power supply above spec for a mere 50W. Then again, I could see how it could help someone who has very specific needs for upped power for incidental operations. For instance, someone who occasionally does rendering on their machine, overclocking the PSU before overclocking the CPU and GPU might not be a completely ridiculous idea. And the lights should help since it would otherwise be a bit cumbersome to actually go in checking whether you're in overclocked mode or not. People should be buying their PSU at or slightly above peak possible output for their system in the first place, but I suppose there is a niche out there for something like this.

As for the cooler, it's not that ridiculous. As with any cooler the buyer should be confident as they can that it will fit their needs. But I have a board, and have seen many lower-end boards, that don't have a heatsink on the NB chipset. They're low end so they don't need much more than the cross-flow that comes in a case or from a standard CPU cooler, but this would certainly be helpful for those who have a concern about heat there but don't want to change boards. It would be a tight fit, but it could work.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Folks, if you think "overclocking" your PSU is just as a great idea as OCing other stuff, you're an idiot. OCing your CPU might kill it, but should only kill the CPU. OCing the PSU might kill your entire rig.

Sure, you might get an extra 50W, but what about the ripple? The voltage fluctuation? I'd rather pay a little extra for +50W than risk losing stuff to the voltage fluctuation.

Koolance sells watercooled 1200W PSU, which are actually 850W PSUs. They deliver 1200W thanks to the extra cooling, but the voltage fluctuation is frightening.

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I have never liked Thermaltake PSUs yeah they look good but they are not well made on the inside (where it counts) some of their CWT made units are OK but i would never use one in my builds

For my builds i use Corsair (AX and TXv2 (made by Seasonic)), Seasonic, Antec (the High current pro and high current gamer units made by Delta) and the higher end Enermax, as well as Superflower made units (NZXT HALE90)

allot of Thermal take PSUs are all show no go and i am certain this one is no exception

Dragoon21b

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
One thing you have to remember when you are looking at stuff from the company's at computex is that this is a trade show. It's primary function is to drum up interest in the company and it's products to attract investors and vendors not necessarily the general public. Think about the big auto shows where they roll out the concept cars. They are new, flashy and amazing feats of engineering but the company's don't usually intend that exact model to be on the road. Its a way of saying "Look what we can do and why it makes us different"

Cjsparky

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]thermaltake never makes a quality well though out product, this is no exception[/citation]

Not true, but I understand where you are coming from, especially when it comes to cooling. I have an earlier Thermaltake ToughPower 750W PS that has tested beautifully in 3rd party tests, and is considered to be a rock solid and quality component. That being said, Thermaltake has also put out some real stinkers for PS as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS