These Are ASRock's Favorite Motherboard Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Grats to the people with the best ideas... Some may seem a little far-fetched but still possible. I would love to see case & Motherboard companies making motherboard installation a little simpler...

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I have another idea; scrap all sub x16 PCIe slots and use only PCIe x16 slots for PCIe. An x1, x2, x4 and x8 expansion card is compatible with a PCIe x16 slot but a slot that is smaller than the connector of the expansion card is not compatible with it unless you make modifications that will void warranty.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
oh and for high end boards, lose the old ass pci slots and strategically add x4 or x8 pcie slots away from being over shadowed by gpus, think "Revo Drive"

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Duh I thought I did not have an idea, the above are great ones and made me just now think of another.
-- An PoE port (or two)

Ahhh well maybe some other manufacturer will do this then. ;-)

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I do like the increased fan connection idea.
Something I've always wanted are 2 independent temperature sensors. One that measures CPU temp and one that measures the air temp inside the PC case. Have the CPU temp control only the fan header that the CPU fan plugs into, and the rest of the fan headers are controlled by the air temp. I have huge fans that fully cycle the air in my case every couple seconds if they need to... but they don't need to, so I want them quieter, while still allowing my CPU fan to run however fast it needs to. I realize this can be done with manual controls, but where's the fun in that?

lespy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
copper heat sinks for everything.

glowing LED color coded lights to identify usb,sata,ethernet,etc. connections on the back of the board would come in handy when trying to plug something in at night and the back of the case is never seen.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Not to sound like a negative nelly but quite a few, more like most of these things have been done already at one time or another or are just superficial wants not improvments.

UPS, Asus Quick connect, SATA locations, Fan headers, PCi spacing, MB lcd display, rear Bios reset, MB montioring SW, Dual CPU, OS bios tweaking, color coding, bluetooth dongle, doesnt the router you on have wireless?, cable management. All have been done, C'MON! If I new you could win this by listing every thing that has already been done I could write you a book.

ASRock this contest is just a rip-off of other peoples/companies(maybe ever your own) already implemented ideas. I thought you were actually looking for something new and innovative not a random hodgepodge of features, I guess I was wrong.

Congrats to the winners.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I think motherboard designers should be required to work in build/repair shops before being allowed to design. Then maybe we would get easy to use designs. From reading around the forums I think the biggest improvement would be spacing of the PCI slots. Next would be connector streamlining.

scimanal

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Not to sound like a negative nelly but quite a few, more like most of these things have been done already at one time or another or are just superficial wants not improvments. UPS, Asus Quick connect, SATA locations, Fan headers, PCi spacing, MB lcd display, rear Bios reset, MB montioring SW, Dual CPU, OS bios tweaking, color coding, bluetooth dongle, doesnt the router you on have wireless?, cable management. All have been done, C'MON! If I new you could win this by listing every thing that has already been done I could write you a book.ASRock this contest is just a rip-off of other peoples/companies(maybe ever your own) already implemented ideas. I thought you were actually looking for something new and innovative not a random hodgepodge of features, I guess I was wrong.Congrats to the winners.[/citation]

I agree, simple enough. Contest aside, do these ideas seem revolutionary? They just seem like good ideas that worked pretty well for other people in the industry? This makes me wonder a little bit about Asrock.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
5) upgrade the interface/user-friendliness of BIOS.

AMI made several custom friendly BIOS GUI setup with mouse support like... over 10 years ago. Even certain RAID cards shipped with AMI BIOS came with GUI setup. Unfortunately the DIY market is flooded with motherboards with features alike yet with poor manuals (often mistaken) and ugly bloated text-mode setup. Even recent SATA motherboards come with the damn BIOS support to ESDI drives. I've seen them like 2 or 3 times in 10 years...

fromage2323

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Before the contest ended i read probably the first 8 pages of suggestions and i saw probably 10+ that seemed very original and innovative. Not just small tweaks and bling. Starting to think this "contest" was really just a marketing ploy.

leonbeas

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Starting to think this "contest" was really just a marketing ploy.[/citation]

Don't think it is, but honestly even if asrock got the best ideas in the world it would be very dificul for them to make what we realy need, its not profitable. We always need to desire something else, thats the trick.
Not to mention giant companies as ASUS that have all the money in the world and already have motherboards designed for 3 to four years ahead.
This is just marketing, live with it or dont buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.