These Are The Star Citizen System Requirements... For Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

netwired

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
"We’ll be always adding data, stories, and campaigns as well as reacting to what the players are doing," the FAQ reads. "Because of this the universe will be affected by the actions of the players."

This actually sounds like a pretty good idea, as long as the patching process doesn't become a headache.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
After having to go back to Freespace 2 in order to play a good space sim that isn't dumbed down, I am truly thrilled to see that Star Citizen will be using a cutting edge engine.

The last hardcore space sim that didnt hold your hand that I can think of was Independence War 2 and it was released eleven years ago!

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
O.R.B. is about 9 years old, and that's still my favorite. Sins of a Solar Empire was just.. I guess too much like a cartoon. Not very serious, no single-player...

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]greatsaltedone[/nom]After having to go back to Freespace 2 in order to play a good space sim that isn't dumbed down, I am truly thrilled to see that Star Citizen will be using a cutting edge engine.The last hardcore space sim that didnt hold your hand that I can think of was Independence War 2 and it was released eleven years ago![/citation]
+1 on FS2! :D

G

Those system requirements were written down a year ago, they havent changed.

tirvon

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Now if only 24 months from now my i5-3570K & GTX 670 were still as kick-@ss as they are now.... *sigh*

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I have been playing FPS's for so long and just recently I tried EVE online.....wow i was soooo lost i had no idea what do. FPS have made me into a complete noob, or maybe i was a noob to begin with i don't know. But man I have been missing out on a lot. Why have I never heard of these great games before? All these hours wasted playing COD.......

G

" Instead the game will pull from "the best of all possible worlds" ranging from a permanent, persistent world found in MMOs to an offline, single-player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series."

" But the FAQ states that because the game is built on CryTek's CryEngine 3, the system requirements will roughly stay the same."

0o Yeah.. No... Cry Engine 3 (CE 3) is meant for inclosed, small-ish type maps, or battlefield 2/3 style "open" environment. That mixed in with the small player limit makes for a decent single player, or multiplayer FPS game engine. CE 3 in NO WAY can be considered an "MMO" game engine, Mech Warrior Online has just proven this. I was so excited when MWO was announced! I was expecting MW 1 style game play, but in a persistent universe, I even expected to see the bar scene from MW 1 in MWO, but nope! It feels like Half-Life, or a similar FPS style game, except with mechs. It just doesn't work!

So, I'm guessing Star citizen's online gameplay will suck as with MWO, and it will be a fair single player game.

I have to know. Why is everyone and their mother using the Cry Engine for everything these days? Is everyone in such a hurry to get rich that they skip the whole freaking point of making a "new" game? The game "engine"? I am so freaking tired of getting so excited when I hear that a new game is coming out (Like MWO), only to be let down because it's nothing more than a Total Conversion, or a MOD for an existing game engine. Just to name a couple of recent examples; DN forever (unreal engine), and MWO. I guess I can add Star Citizen to the TC list.

Wow, this sucks.

G

I would pay $100 for an independence war 3 game single player campaign

G

A gts 450 and e6600?? Seriously at what resolution 800x600? I thought it was gonna melt pcs?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Yea FS2 was great, but so was X3 They definitely didn't hold your hand in X3, and most reviewers say the controls are too complicated (I disagree). Only wish it had multicore support, to help with the lag in crowded systems...such as when you move your fleet of 100+ ships into a system to destroy everything.[/citation]

x3's problem is an over reliance on menues and keyboard commands for things that could EASILY be streamlined and made easier.

not directed at you but others that read this below

please note that makeing the game require less than full keyboard and command knowledge isn't dumbing down, it just takes an annoying aspect of the game, the learning curve that has nothing to do with gameplay, out of the game.

if management in the game was handled better, i think the game would be FAR more popular, instead of where it is now.

[citation][nom]JustPosting91[/nom]" Instead the game will pull from "the best of all possible worlds" ranging from a permanent, persistent world found in MMOs to an offline, single-player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series."" But the FAQ states that because the game is built on CryTek's CryEngine 3, the system requirements will roughly stay the same."0o Yeah.. No... Cry Engine 3 (CE 3) is meant for inclosed, small-ish type maps, or battlefield 2/3 style "open" environment. That mixed in with the small player limit makes for a decent single player, or multiplayer FPS game engine. CE 3 in NO WAY can be considered an "MMO" game engine, Mech Warrior Online has just proven this. I was so excited when MWO was announced! I was expecting MW 1 style game play, but in a persistent universe, I even expected to see the bar scene from MW 1 in MWO, but nope! It feels like Half-Life, or a similar FPS style game, except with mechs. It just doesn't work!So, I'm guessing Star citizen's online gameplay will suck as with MWO, and it will be a fair single player game.I have to know. Why is everyone and their mother using the Cry Engine for everything these days? Is everyone in such a hurry to get rich that they skip the whole freaking point of making a "new" game? The game "engine"? I am so freaking tired of getting so excited when I hear that a new game is coming out (Like MWO), only to be let down because it's nothing more than a Total Conversion, or a MOD for an existing game engine. Just to name a couple of recent examples; DN forever (unreal engine), and MWO. I guess I can add Star Citizen to the TC list. Wow, this sucks.[/citation]

how little do you even know games... this is a serious question, because i cant see someone who knows how a game is built to say something as stupid as you just went on in great length saying.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]atminside[/nom]I have been playing FPS's for so long and just recently I tried EVE online.....wow i was soooo lost i had no idea what do. FPS have made me into a complete noob, or maybe i was a noob to begin with i don't know. But man I have been missing out on a lot. Why have I never heard of these great games before? All these hours wasted playing COD.......[/citation]
I feel like most of the recent FPS games have taken the thought out of them and just gotten down to point and shoot. While they lack the mental activity of more complex and maybe older FPS games, they are still fun to play.

But as to EVE, it's more based on WoW mechanitcs and the time it takes to level up skills to fly ships takes time in real life. The time to level up skills is what made me dislike EVE, as some skills took weeks if not months to level up just to fly a ship. It's still a good game, but the time required to be able to fly a new ship is a MASSIVE barrier to new players when compared to other games.

Acording to Chris Roberts, Star Citizen is going to be more like flying a jet in Battlefield 3 if I had to compare it to a recent game as it is going to be fly-by-wire like an F-35. No WoW global cool downs on firing weapons and etc. like EVE has. Logistics will still have a place tho as not all weapons are lasers and will need ammo among other things.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]aeyervrabyaber[/nom]Those system requirements were written down a year ago, they havent changed.[/citation]
Which is what i called out, but got voted down. lol. In fact, even Tom's has posted this before.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]atminside[/nom]I have been playing FPS's for so long and just recently I tried EVE online.....wow i was soooo lost i had no idea what do. FPS have made me into a complete noob, or maybe i was a noob to begin with i don't know. But man I have been missing out on a lot. Why have I never heard of these great games before? All these hours wasted playing COD.......[/citation]
Get a copy of FS2 from GOG ($5). Then visit http://www.hard-light.net and download the Source Code Project's mods.

Read more:
http://www.gog.com/news/editorial_freespace_2
http://www.gog.com/news/freespace_2_open_source_code_project_spotlight

FS2 Open:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82648.0
(OSX and Linux support as well)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Yea FS2 was great, but so was X3 They definitely didn't hold your hand in X3, and most reviewers say the controls are too complicated (I disagree). Only wish it had multicore support, to help with the lag in crowded systems...such as when you move your fleet of 100+ ships into a system to destroy everything.[/citation]
Haven't played X3 :O

G

Which MMO's are considered "permanent, persistent"?? I thought that was the whole point of MMO's: lots of ppl playing so nearly everything has refresh (not permanent) and corpses/loot/drops disappear after timeout (not persistent).

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Hics[/nom]Which MMO's are considered "permanent, persistent"?? I thought that was the whole point of MMO's: lots of ppl playing so nearly everything has refresh (not permanent) and corpses/loot/drops disappear after timeout (not persistent).[/citation]

Eve online is the only one that is truly persistant that I know of. All players are on the same server and coexist in the same universe. There is no instancing and the only things that reset are mining belts and some very basic civilian trade goods that both form the base of the market.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
[citation][nom]Duckhunt[/nom]The graphics are not that great. Its like we are stuck with the same graphics for 5 years.[/citation]
you just noticed? lulz. all kidding aside, this is what happens when most games are dumbed down to console levels and many games use the same engine. kinda like the unreal engine. while good, it doesnt push boundaries. cryengine is the same. they dumbed it down to run on consoles. hopefully they'll take full advantage of pc hardware and push graphics through the roof.

orion9

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]" Instead the game will pull from "the best of all possible worlds" ranging from a permanent, persistent world found in MMOs to an offline, single-player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series."" But the FAQ states that because the game is built on CryTek's CryEngine 3, the system requirements will roughly stay the same."0o Yeah.. No... Cry Engine 3 (CE 3) is meant for inclosed, small-ish type maps, or battlefield 2/3 style "open" environment. That mixed in with the small player limit makes for a decent single player, or multiplayer FPS game engine. CE 3 in NO WAY can be considered an "MMO" game engine, Mech Warrior Online has just proven this. I was so excited when MWO was announced! I was expecting MW 1 style game play, but in a persistent universe, I even expected to see the bar scene from MW 1 in MWO, but nope! It feels like Half-Life, or a similar FPS style game, except with mechs. It just doesn't work!So, I'm guessing Star citizen's online gameplay will suck as with MWO, and it will be a fair single player game.I have to know. Why is everyone and their mother using the Cry Engine for everything these days? Is everyone in such a hurry to get rich that they skip the whole freaking point of making a "new" game? The game "engine"? I am so freaking tired of getting so excited when I hear that a new game is coming out (Like MWO), only to be let down because it's nothing more than a Total Conversion, or a MOD for an existing game engine. Just to name a couple of recent examples; DN forever (unreal engine), and MWO. I guess I can add Star Citizen to the TC list. Wow, this sucks.[/citation]

Inclosed? Smallish?! So what you’re saying is that ArcheAge is (by your standard) inclosed and smallish?!

Oh yeah btw, so the supposed release date is sometime in 2015 ->Intel Skymont or Skylake, AMD Excavator, Nvidia 900 and AMD 10000 series (or whatever) and possibly the emergence of DX12, ddr4, Oculus Rift+…

Well let’s wait and see, shall we. One thing is for sure, it`s going to be one hell of a loooong but interesting wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.