These Were Sinofsky's Final Words to Microsoft Employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzed

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I understand where Sinofsky is coming from with this letter, but the fact that he left a month after the release of W8 is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.

dr-hoads

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Not sure what to believe, but I think that it was nice that he saw win8 and surface to completion. I think it is WAY to early to tell if they are a failure or not. Surface PRO is not even out yet, and I am going to buy me one of those!! :)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]enzed[/nom]I understand where Sinofsky is coming from with this letter, but the fact that he left a month after the release of W8 is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.[/citation]

If he left during the development of Surface RT, that would be too much to ignore. More likely, he's gone through a lot to deliver the product; with the completion of a big task, you have to ask what's next...

It may simply be that he's flippin' rich now, and would like to spend more time with his family rather than chase after more money.

georgefrommanagement

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Personally I think he was going for the CEO position back when Gates retired, and decided to stay and release windows 8 when he didn't get it. Coordinating the entire windows division is probably just as hard as running a medium sized company. He probably felt qualified

Devoteicon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
[citation][nom]djscribbles[/nom]It may simply be that he's flippin' rich now, and would like to spend more time with his family rather than chase after more money.[/citation]
Apple: That makes no sense.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]dont find it weird if you see him hired as new Apple Chief on product development or even CEO[/citation]
Well, he does wear that dark sweater well...

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]enzed[/nom]I understand where Sinofsky is coming from with this letter, but the fact that he left a month after the release of W8 is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.[/citation]

He's apparently quite an aggressive guy so he would have cracked skulls during the run up to the WIN 8 release... it probably got noticed.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
He finished with the development of W8 and Surface, it'd seem like the perfect chance get out and give the opportunity to someone else to continue on to the next project.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]Well, he does wear that dark sweater well...[/citation]
I'm willing to bet that there is a non-compete clause some where that would induce a lawsuit of some kind.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
The guy has done well, now he's going to be able to sit back and watch the times of Surface. Move over Ipad, you had your day, and it ended with Jobs.

donsagrott

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
> i can think of at least 10 good reasons why everyone should give windows 8 a fair chance

( http:// sospep.com/view/article?id=549#content )

> AND windows 7 IS Microsoft's most successful os of all time
- 670 million licences sold (and counting)

> and now the leader of the windows pack, the guy in charge of it all, has either jumped ship or was pushed overboard
- rumour has it that Steve's personality was less than "warm and fuzzy" and that he was all for collaboration (as long as you agreed to do it his way)

> likely not someone you would enjoy working for ..
- BUT if you look at the success of the divisions he lead, i am sure "the board/shareholders/..." would have loved him (his results)

> i am sure he will see him re surface soon !!
- I understand that their is a job opening over at apple os division

ps @noblerabbit re: resignation letter
- too funny, best one ive seen yet!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As someone that works in the software industry (albeit not at the management level), I can understand leaving after a major product launch. Sometimes finishing a product just takes so much out of you that you need some time off or at least a change of scenery. I've spent 6 months working 6-7 days a week, 10-16 hours a day on one project. Once its done you may not relish the prospect of starting it all over again on the next version. Of course it has also been my experience that most people in management hardly ever put in more than 40 hours/week.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Let's look at incentives. The guy in charge of launching all Windows up to Win XP owned the company, still holds a good minority beloved patriot of it in stock and came away the richest man in the world.

The man in charge of releasing Vista through Win 8/RT holds about 30M in stock and probably made about the same in his tenure in the firm.

Yes, they're both rich. But Sinofsky has had much less skin in the game than Gates. In addition, he had a jackass boss worth about 200x more who nearly screwed up everything Sinofsky worked for. Why would we expect the same groundbreaking products from him? The incentives just weren't there.

G

Sinofsky Is OUT on patch Tuesday! It is going to take more than a simple patch to fix that mess that is Windows 8 and that interface formerly known as METRO!

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Think of how much time he has probably spent getting the last batch of products out the door. This is more of a NEVER AGAIN type of leaving, not from bad products.

I am sure there were a few long days/weeks/months this last 10 months. MS is redoing almost their entire comsumer product linup. Even if its your passion it can still burn you out. Also the fact that he was looking at CEO title and might have been told "not anytime soon" or "never".

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
[citation][nom]dr-hoads[/nom]Not sure what to believe, but I think that it was nice that he saw win8 and surface to completion. I think it is WAY to early to tell if they are a failure or not. Surface PRO is not even out yet, and I am going to buy me one of those!! :)[/citation]

I agree. The MS Surface Pro is my next purchase. It will replace my aging laptop and my Android tablet and allow me to use the "programs", not apps, I have always preferred to use. I do not care for Win8 on a desktop, but after playing with a Surface at Best Buy, Win8 works great on a touch screen tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.