[SOLVED] They debate rages in my head - WWYD? (What would you do)? Aesthetics of a Keyboard.

truckinboots

Reputable
Jul 13, 2018
Greetings Everyone,

I'm doing a debate in my head as to which mechanical keyboard is best. I have one of the $15 variety ones, and my typing sucks on it. I normally type upwards of 80wpm and I do programming. I'm also running a linux distro (centos) with Xfce - DE (Desktop Environment) - so I don't game with it. I'm looking in the used section as keyboard seem to be well upwards of $200.

SO my choices are ...

1. Das Keyboard - Prof 4 (no back lighting) - brown / blue cherry mx switches - seeing them around the $70 mark used.
  2. Ducky Shine 5 - mechanical blue switches - RGB lighting - about the $120 mark (lighting controlled on keyboard - no software to install).
  3. Corsair K70 - (silver / black) edition - RGB (iCUE to set up - means need a pc / save profile to keyboard - then no - need for iCUE).

I even took it a bit of step further - and thought of getting funky with retro - typewriter type key caps. I'd consider an Azio - but their not true cherry mx switches - I believe Azio makes their own. Also not rgb - thought not a deal breaker.

IN a perfect world - a mechanical (cherry switch) that's also wifi would be awesome. But save that of building it myself - or spending $100's of dollars, it seems cost prohibitive.

SO WWYD?

Look forward to all your responses. .

Solution
Hi.

You do not need the iCue app for the k70 if the only thing that you want to do is disable the RGB, the keyboard (K70 RGB Speedfire at least) have a buttom to disable/enable RGB without the iCue software.