THG fears "northwood" and "brookdale"

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well i saw this at the end of the P4 1.7ghz reveiw:

"Now I am only waiting for 'Northwood' and 'Brookdale'. The times for AMD will finally become harder again"

"The next action is significant price cuts, which will be particularly easy for Intel once the next-generation Pentium 4 ('Northwood' core) will be released, because it will be a shrunk (and thus cheaper to produce) version of the current 'Willamette' core."

"The second half of 2001 will hopefully see the Brookdale-chipset for Pentium 4, with SDRAM as well as DDR-SDRAM support."

"AMD will have to react with price cuts as well, unless it wants to lose market share."

Well the current p4 blows. Northwood looks pretty good.

Leader of the Anti VIA-Nvidia Army

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Only time will tell. Northwood and Brookdale do sound interesting and I will certainly compare them to the competition when the times comes for my next upgrade...

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
im saying it now, although i am a huge amd fan, if the northwood does really kick ass and intel can keep prices down, i am completely willing to make my next computer a northwood system. im hoping it is simply amazing because i really dont care whos chip i have as long as its relatively cheap and very very fast.
as far as the memory, i would like rambus if the prices were on par with ddr memory, it is very attractive in the p4 chipsets, but just too expensive right now.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day...

G

It's not just the price. RDRAM modules are connected in sequence instead of in parallel. I simply don't believe in memory that gets slower if you add more of it.

Leo

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
But how will Northwood handle existing software? Will it still needed optimized code to reach it's full potential as the P4 does? The real issue for me (and many other business's) is that I do not want to upgrade all of my applications to see the true benefits of a new processor.

How well Northwood will perform with today's software will only be know when the chip is released. You can't go on company propaganda on an unreleased product.

The "Willamette" was the AMD killer. It ended up as the P4.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

I think many (including me!) could be persuaded by a smaller, faster, cooler, cheaper P4, with less outrageous memory archatectures. If they price it right, it could be a winner.

I'm not sure where THG gets the DDR Brookdale info from. It's the first I've heard - last week some sources were claiming that Brookdale would use PC100, deliberately slow to make RDRAM look good (or at the very least, less bad!). If this is Intel's strategy I can't see them releasing a DDR chipset...

~ I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully ~

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Ok, for a 256MB module: $245 (for 800MHz RDRAM) vs. $114 (for 266MHz PC2100 SDRAM). RDRAM prices dropped since I last checked (Northwood keeps looking better all the time)!

TRENDING THREADS