Thief 3 saved game location?

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see where
the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
direction please?

Thanks.

Colin wrote:

> I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
> progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see where
> the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
> direction please?

Saved games are stored in the My Documents folder of the user that
installed the game.

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

> > I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save
my
> > progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see
where
> > the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
> > direction please?
>
> Saved games are stored in the My Documents folder of the user that
> installed the game.

Thanks.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
> progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see
where
> the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
> direction please?
>
> Thanks.

As was pointed out, they're in the "My Documents" folder. But look at them
closely. Each save is a designated by a unique 48 digit hexadecimal address.
I'd be willing to bet that after reformatting and reinstalling TDS, the
saves when copied back into your folders will not be recognized by the game.
I tried sending 3 saved games to my 2nd computer, which also has the patched
game installed. TDS could not see the saves sent from the 1st computer. Has
anyone else tried this?

nightwalker

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

> "Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save
my
> > progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see
> where
> > the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
> > direction please?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> As was pointed out, they're in the "My Documents" folder. But look at them
> closely. Each save is a designated by a unique 48 digit hexadecimal
address.
> I'd be willing to bet that after reformatting and reinstalling TDS, the
> saves when copied back into your folders will not be recognized by the
game.
> I tried sending 3 saved games to my 2nd computer, which also has the
patched
> game installed. TDS could not see the saves sent from the 1st computer.
Has
> anyone else tried this?

I did a reformat and reinstall then copied my saves from the other drive. I
had to copy the entire folder to get it to work. I also have copied saves
from the computer downstairs to the one upstairs but again, I had to take
everything except the "User Options", which were set up for a different
computer.

Nightwalker

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 02:26:18 +0100, "Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

>I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
>progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see where
>the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
>direction please?
>
>Thanks.

In XP it is under
C:\My Documents\

Forgive me if I am wrong but I am sure you can change the location
too... While looking around either in the Thief3 setup files or in the
registry, I saw the savegames location and it looked real easy to edit
that location. Just change it to whatever you wish to BUT be careful,
just incase...

I have done this before with other games - worked no problems...

There you go - I just found it in the registry... Here's its location
in the registry...
****************************
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows]
"ION_ROOT"="F:\\Thief - Deadly Shadows"
"SaveGamePath"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Allan\\My Documents\\Thief
- Deadly Shadows"
****************************

I am now positive you can edit that one...

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 05:53:11 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
wrote:

>"Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
>> progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see
>where
>> the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
>> direction please?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>As was pointed out, they're in the "My Documents" folder. But look at them
>closely. Each save is a designated by a unique 48 digit hexadecimal address.
>I'd be willing to bet that after reformatting and reinstalling TDS, the
>saves when copied back into your folders will not be recognized by the game.
>I tried sending 3 saved games to my 2nd computer, which also has the patched
>game installed. TDS could not see the saves sent from the 1st computer. Has
>anyone else tried this?

I had troubles with my PC - It turned out that one bank of 512mbs of
RAM was faulty but while I was trying like blazes to find what the
problem was, I copied over an older Ghost back up of the system,
(thinking that Windows was faulty) - one that did jnot have T3
installed.. I did however save the registry key which had the install
folders address in it and surprise surprise, I got T3 to work with
just this one key... I also saved the savegames and put them manually
into the My Documents folder and they worked. I simply carried on from
where I left off...

I still had the problem though and I installed yet an earlier Ghost
backup, still trying to find the answer,, THEN I found the cure... I
removed the offending stick of RAM then I did exactly the same thing
with the saved key and savegames... Now things are running ever and
all the savegames load up and I am getting throught T3 slowly but
surely...