Thief 4 is Coming From Eidos Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
While I'm always interested in exciting titles that involve a bit of brain work as well as action...

How exactly is the number 4 supposed to be an E?

THIAF?

"Ho there! STOP THIAF!"

I dunno...seems a bit...ackward.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]That style of 4 seems like it would be more suited to replace the F, than the E.[/citation]

Ecepxt Yuor Biran raeds wrods betetr if the frist and lsat ltetres are the smae.

read that fast, and it will make sense.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
That's probably the best news I've heard since I heard about BloodBowl comming to pc (mid next month probably) ... This is great. I've got thief 2 and 3 as retail at home. Only truely played the third though. Great game. It has style, and unlike sam fisher, what garret does actually makes sense from a storyline point of view. I just kind of wish the third one would end with him getting together with that vendor chick that has a crush on him, but hey that's just me.

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Sorry but that "THI4F" is trying hard to look leet, but ends up looking retarded. Hope the game itself doesn't go down the same path.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
If you read the official Thief 4 forums that 'THI4F' title was only a work in progress, they needed something quick so someone throw it up but it's not the official logo/banner/game name thank god.

I can't wait for this game I've been a massive Thief fan since the original came out 11 years ago and I'm still playing it as well as the two squeals to this day, it's amazing how well the gameplay has held up over the years.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Excellent... hopefully they'll keep the high level of quality and innovation that made Thief my favorite FP series.

The Insane Asylum level of T3 was IMO the best level design of that era. The atmosphere was amazing... the level oozed "Creepy".

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Dave K[/nom]Excellent... hopefully they'll keep the high level of quality and innovation that made Thief my favorite FP series.The Insane Asylum level of T3 was IMO the best level design of that era. The atmosphere was amazing... the level oozed "Creepy".[/citation]
Creepy sure, but I got lost at some point, and found it rather annoying to sneak around there for so long. Anyway, fear sure beat it for intensity in my world. Alma is scary.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
This will be a sweet game. They've got some French-Canadian folks working on this one, and since the concept behind Thief is to avoid combat, that should give them a leg up.

The smallest book in the world is the book of French military victories.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Creepy sure, but I got lost at some point, and found it rather annoying to sneak around there for so long. Anyway, fear sure beat it for intensity in my world. Alma is scary.[/citation]

I tend to group games that are close in release year... Fear is a LOT newer (5 or 6 years I think) which meant a lot more graphic goodness. I'd compare Fear more with contemporary games like HL2 (which is also one of my favorites). The Ravenhome level was my favorite creepy level of the early-mid 2000's.

G

While the Thief trilogy is my favorite game franchise of all time (especially the first one, Thief: The Dark Project,) I would prefer that they not make a fourth one.

Most fans were skeptical of the third one, but thankfully Ion Storm did a bang-up job of keeping true to the originals (even using the same sound effects, the same voice for Garrett, and tying in the original storyline.) Still, though, Deadly Shadows was not quite up to par.

I can't imagine a fourth entry by a completely different staff being anywhere near as good. The best strategy would probably be to completely break away from the old storyline and use a different main character in a different setting.

One of the big appeals was Garrett's 'stealing for stealing's sake' attitude with the plot being a mere afterthought to him (until much later on.) The maps were also very open-ended, promoting exploration of every nook and cranny. If Eidos sticks with those concepts, combined with the quiet, butterflies-in-your-stomach nighttime environments, they might be able to pull it off.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I hope they do a good job with the development of this game. I know a LOT of people who are going to want this... it has been a VERY popular series.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Dave K[/nom]The Ravenhome level was my favorite creepy level of the early-mid 2000's.[/citation]

"we don't go to Ravenholm anymore..."

such a wonderfully satisfying level for the survival horror fans. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.