Thief Deadly Shadows and 8500

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

D/l'd the demo for this which I've been keenly anticipating. I'm pretty
disappointed in how in runs on my Barton 3200 / Radeon 8500 / 1 gig dual
channel system. Most other newer titles run fine (Far Cry, UT 2004) on the
8500 (300/600) but Thief Deadly Shadows brings it to a crawl at 1024x768.
There's a kind of wierd artifacting where the lines and edges "crawl" slowly
too. Using Catalyst 4.3's. Any opinions...other than get a 9800 Pro?

Andrew

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 04:43:52 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
wrote:

>D/l'd the demo for this which I've been keenly anticipating. I'm pretty
>disappointed in how in runs on my Barton 3200 / Radeon 8500 / 1 gig dual
>channel system. Most other newer titles run fine (Far Cry, UT 2004) on the
>8500 (300/600) but Thief Deadly Shadows brings it to a crawl at 1024x768.
>There's a kind of wierd artifacting where the lines and edges "crawl" slowly
>too. Using Catalyst 4.3's. Any opinions...other than get a 9800 Pro?

The 4.4 Cats are recommended.

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
> D/l'd the demo for this which I've been keenly anticipating. I'm pretty
> disappointed in how in runs on my Barton 3200 / Radeon 8500 / 1 gig dual
> channel system. Most other newer titles run fine (Far Cry, UT 2004) on the
> 8500 (300/600) but Thief Deadly Shadows brings it to a crawl at 1024x768.
> There's a kind of wierd artifacting where the lines and edges "crawl"
slowly
> too. Using Catalyst 4.3's. Any opinions...other than get a 9800 Pro?

You got it to install with the 4.3's ? Try it with the 4.4b Omega's.
( What did you think all those warnings were about? Did you think
they don't apply to you?)

Luck;
Ken

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
> D/l'd the demo for this which I've been keenly anticipating. I'm pretty
> disappointed in how in runs on my Barton 3200 / Radeon 8500 / 1 gig dual
> channel system. Most other newer titles run fine (Far Cry, UT 2004) on the
> 8500 (300/600) but Thief Deadly Shadows brings it to a crawl at 1024x768.
> There's a kind of wierd artifacting where the lines and edges "crawl"
slowly
> too. Using Catalyst 4.3's. Any opinions...other than get a 9800 Pro?

Upgraded to the 4.5's......runs sluggish at 1024x768 still....not impressed.

> "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
> > D/l'd the demo for this which I've been keenly anticipating. I'm pretty
> > disappointed in how in runs on my Barton 3200 / Radeon 8500 / 1 gig dual
> > channel system. Most other newer titles run fine (Far Cry, UT 2004) on
the
> > 8500 (300/600) but Thief Deadly Shadows brings it to a crawl at
1024x768.
> > There's a kind of wierd artifacting where the lines and edges "crawl"
> slowly
> > too. Using Catalyst 4.3's. Any opinions...other than get a 9800 Pro?
>
> Upgraded to the 4.5's......runs sluggish at 1024x768 still....not
impressed.

I had real problems running any thing with the 4.5's that's
why I suggested the 4.4's. The only way I cured the problems
I encountered with the 4.5's, was to restore to a point before
I tried them.

Luck;
Ken

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
> D/l'd the demo for this which I've been keenly anticipating. I'm pretty
> disappointed in how in runs on my Barton 3200 / Radeon 8500 / 1 gig dual
> channel system. Most other newer titles run fine (Far Cry, UT 2004) on the
> 8500 (300/600) but Thief Deadly Shadows brings it to a crawl at 1024x768.
> There's a kind of wierd artifacting where the lines and edges "crawl"
slowly
> too. Using Catalyst 4.3's. Any opinions...other than get a 9800 Pro?

After looking over the thief n/g and the multitude of comments there about
all around performance all I can say is there's no excuse for this kind of
design, using a 3D engine this sluggish with such outrageous demands on GPU
functions without really looking all that great......damn near everyone
complains unless they're running a 5900/5950 or 9800 Pro /XT. And quite a
few of them complain about sluggish performance in various areas.

Augustus left a note on my windscreen which said:

> > D/l'd the demo for this which I've been keenly anticipating. I'm pretty
> > disappointed in how in runs on my Barton 3200 / Radeon 8500 / 1 gig dual
> > channel system. Most other newer titles run fine (Far Cry, UT 2004) on the
> > 8500 (300/600) but Thief Deadly Shadows brings it to a crawl at 1024x768.
> > There's a kind of wierd artifacting where the lines and edges "crawl"
> slowly
> > too. Using Catalyst 4.3's. Any opinions...other than get a 9800 Pro?
>
> Upgraded to the 4.5's......runs sluggish at 1024x768 still....not impressed.

Have you tried turning off VSync?

P4 3.0GHz, R9800 Pro running T:DS at 1280x1024, no AA or AF, very smooth
although not benched for exact FPS score.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

> "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
> > D/l'd the demo for this which I've been keenly anticipating. I'm pretty
> > disappointed in how in runs on my Barton 3200 / Radeon 8500 / 1 gig dual
> > channel system. Most other newer titles run fine (Far Cry, UT 2004) on
the
> > 8500 (300/600) but Thief Deadly Shadows brings it to a crawl at
1024x768.
> > There's a kind of wierd artifacting where the lines and edges "crawl"
> slowly
> > too. Using Catalyst 4.3's. Any opinions...other than get a 9800 Pro?
>
> After looking over the thief n/g and the multitude of comments there about
> all around performance all I can say is there's no excuse for this kind of
> design, using a 3D engine this sluggish with such outrageous demands on
GPU
> functions without really looking all that great......damn near everyone
> complains unless they're running a 5900/5950 or 9800 Pro /XT. And quite a
> few of them complain about sluggish performance in various areas.

Hmmm.... I'm getting the impression that you are less interested it
trying
to get the game to run well on your minimally qualified card, than you
are in railing against the development and inclusion of new technology in
the games you want to play. It may be that you will have to turn off or
down some of the features available, until you acquire a new card. (Or
you could approach the problem with a more positive attitude, and
really listen to (and try) the suggestions provided you.)

Luck;
Ken

frode

Truck

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

In the end it boils down to if you want to play the `big dog' games,
you need the `big dog' components. Video card, processor and memory,
etc. Sometimes people forget the quality that goes into a name too
and try to shave a few bucks off with a generic part. Doesn't work
that way... As is mentioned in the Readme with the game, the higher
end your video card, the better the game will run. I really didn't
see the need for them to add that as it should be plain common sense,
but I digress...

1024x768 mode with the goodies jacked to the max and Thief Deadly
Shadows runs absolutely fantastic and smooth on my setup. Of course
I've invested in making sure my setup can handle what I throw at it,
and I'd hardly call my system high end given what's available now.
With the new BTX standard being put into place, I just can't see the
point of building another ATX system. Just make do with what I have
(because everything runs fantastic so far) until the hardware
companies fully retool for the new standards.

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
768mb PC2100
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
ASUS 9800 Pro videocard running 4.6 Cats from Omega (go Omega!)
Antec 400w p/s
etc.
etc.

Wil