Thief Gold: What is the ideal CPU Speed?

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

I just reinstalled Thief Gold (under winxp) on a fast athlon system with a
9700pro. The guards and people move too fast. Clearly there is a speed
governing problem of some sort.

On my system I can change the cpu speed from anywhere between 500mhz and
2.3ghz; What is the sweetspot for playing Thief Gold for smooth framerate
(1024x768) but no 'quickstepping' guards ? Any tips appreciated!

rms

On Fri, 07 May 2004 02:15:44 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote:

>I just reinstalled Thief Gold (under winxp) on a fast athlon system with a
>9700pro. The guards and people move too fast. Clearly there is a speed
>governing problem of some sort.
>
>On my system I can change the cpu speed from anywhere between 500mhz and
>2.3ghz; What is the sweetspot for playing Thief Gold for smooth framerate
>(1024x768) but no 'quickstepping' guards ? Any tips appreciated!
>
>rms

Have you turned on the "Vertical Sync" in your graphics card settings?

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> Have you turned on the "Vertical Sync" in your graphics card settings?

I think that fixed it, thx!

rms

rms wrote:

> I just reinstalled Thief Gold (under winxp) on a fast athlon system with a
> 9700pro. The guards and people move too fast. Clearly there is a speed
> governing problem of some sort.
>
> On my system I can change the cpu speed from anywhere between 500mhz and
> 2.3ghz; What is the sweetspot for playing Thief Gold for smooth framerate
> (1024x768) but no 'quickstepping' guards ? Any tips appreciated!
>
> rms

Hey, that sounds a lot like the system I built in February: Athlon XP
3200, Radeon 9700 Pro.

I went through an OS fandango in the first couple of weeks, partly
because Windows XP (either flavor) didn't seem to want to install, and
partly because Win 2k didn't want to run certain older games.
Eventually I got the bugs worked out and XP Pro installed. Some older
games - Mechwarrior 3 in particular - still don't work right.

Which R9700Pro did you get? I went with the Powercolor edition, which
was the only one Newegg was selling at the time. I simply couldn't
stomach $400+ for a Radeon 9800 Pro, and I was mostly concerned with
running older games that made my extremely underpowered (Duron with no
3D hardware) notebook choke. Never had 3D card before - quite amazing!

What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3) simply don't
work, even though I'm running basically the same OS. Maybe I'll try
slowing down the CPU.

Objekt

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> Which R9700Pro did you get?

Sapphire. It was $320 when I bought last year. I put a 1U cpu heatsink
on it and it oc's to stock 9800pro levels.

> What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3)

Dunno about this, XP does have joystick/controller issues. Do some
googling on that title, or ask on fan forums. Perhaps Dosbox (I just
looked, it doesn't) or one of the other emulator progs will help.

Anyway for ThiefGold I used "f:\setup.exe -lgntforce" to install it, and
enabled vsync. Everything works great!

rms

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> > Sapphire. It was $320 when I bought last year. I put a 1U cpu
heatsink
> > on it and it oc's to stock 9800pro levels.
>
> You can OC those? My Powercolor version came with a heatsink and fan on
> it. I didn't know they were making them without - I thought the GPU
> would fry itself without a heatsink.

:) I took off the stock heatsink & replaced it with this one
http://www.directron.com/directron/dc1206bmr.html
If I was doing it now I'd use a VGA Silencer
http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/vgaandbga.html

I don't think it's worth doing now tho, just sell your 9700p and get a
X800 :)

rms

"Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3) simply don't
> work, even though I'm running basically the same OS. Maybe I'll try
> slowing down the CPU.
>
> Objekt

http://www.ntcompatible.com/compatibility.html has a fairly updatet list of
what games and programs works on XP and who dont. Often you find the
solution to how to get some older games to work if they don't straight out
of the box.

McEve wrote:

> "Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3) simply don't
>>work, even though I'm running basically the same OS. Maybe I'll try
>>slowing down the CPU.
>>
>>Objekt
>>

> http://www.ntcompatible.com/compatibility.html has a fairly updatet list of
> what games and programs works on XP and who dont. Often you find the
> solution to how to get some older games to work if they don't straight out
> of the box.

Unfortunately that wasn't enlightening; I have already tried running MW3
with Win95 compatibility mode, to no avail. Looks like I have to write
that one off.

However, I did stumble across a port of Duke Nukem 3D for Windows. Woohoo!

Been a LONG time since I played that.

Objekt

On Sat, 08 May 2004 18:45:24 GMT, Objekt <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote:

>McEve wrote:
>
>> "Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3) simply don't
>>>work, even though I'm running basically the same OS. Maybe I'll try
>>>slowing down the CPU.
>>>
>>>Objekt
>>>

>> http://www.ntcompatible.com/compatibility.html has a fairly updatet list of
>> what games and programs works on XP and who dont. Often you find the
>> solution to how to get some older games to work if they don't straight out
>> of the box.
>>

>Unfortunately that wasn't enlightening; I have already tried running MW3
>with Win95 compatibility mode, to no avail. Looks like I have to write
>that one off.
>
>However, I did stumble across a port of Duke Nukem 3D for Windows. Woohoo!
>
>Been a LONG time since I played that.

Maybe, in fifty years or so, you'll get to play Duke Nukem 4Ever

What's up Chuck?