[SOLVED] Thin black horizontal lines on TV - Sony KDL 42W706B - Advice needed.

MachoFantastico

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone,

So I need to some help. I have a Sony KDL 42W706B HDTV and today it started developing a serious issue where very think black lines have appeared horizontally across the screen, about half way up the screen. Tried disconnecting cables, tried letting it rest, tried factory reset but it's still there no matter what input I put on the TV. So I'm guessing it's an issue with the television and wanted to know if there was any options whatsoever. I've considered to see if I could fix it but I'm not sure I can and looking only indicates that it could be a serious issue. I have tried to take some pictures but they didn't come out to well but have found a similar picture of what's been happening to my screen in the bottom left (https://f01.justanswer.com/7QOOKFhP/image.jpeg) though my lines are a lot thinner. I will still attach the two photos but it isn't easy to see the issue.

https://ibb.co/ZhKvYqP

If anyone knows what might be causing this I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

Solution
For the cost of a working TV in that size or larger, not worth trying things to fix it. You would have to start with replacing the system board, then go on to the screen if that does not fix it. At least it was not a 2 yr old 80" $3,000 set that went bad. Just look at the used market in your area and pick up another one.
For the cost of a working TV in that size or larger, not worth trying things to fix it. You would have to start with replacing the system board, then go on to the screen if that does not fix it. At least it was not a 2 yr old 80" $3,000 set that went bad. Just look at the used market in your area and pick up another one.

Reactions: MachoFantastico
Solution

MachoFantastico

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013

As I feared, thanks for the information. Sadly I can't afford any sort of TV (used or new) right now. I was really hoping I could fix the issue but that doesn't seem the case.