things needed for upgrading my cpu

Jun 29, 2018
I need to know what to get to upgrade my cpu. i currently have and AMD Athlon X4 860K as my cpu and my motherboard is Gigabyte F2A68HM-H. I also have DDR3 RAM I'm planning on getting an Intel i7 7700k and a MSI Pro Series Intel Z270 DDR4 USB 3 CrossFire ATX Motherboard. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my RAM or if I can use my current RAM. I also need to know if there is anything else I need to install these parts, thanks.

Well if you might want to compare prices. An Intel 7700k with Z270 new isn't going to be way cheaper then going with an 8700k and a Z370. What from I'm seeing online price difference is like $50-$100 dollors. You'd be smarter going with z370 to prepare you for future upgrades.

With the z270 the 7700k is pretty much the max you can put in the thing.

As for memory it really depends on the mobo. But from what I'm seeing, most Z370s are DDR4.

I guess to give you an accurate recommendation we need to know what your budget is.

Aside from mobo and cpu, you need memory, thermal compound, psu and gpu then a case and thats pretty much it. I'm sure a lot of your older stuff like case, psu and gpu should be compatible with your upgrade path. But again to be sure, we need to know your full current specs and price range.

Jun 29, 2018

I'm looking to stay within the $600-$700 range. If you can help me find good prices for all the necessary things I need besides the mobo and the cpu, that would be a very big help. I currently have a 1050 ti, AMD x4 860k, a Gigabyte F2A68HM-H,a 500 watt EVGA psu, and 12 gb of DDR3 RAM. Let me know if I can tell you anything else and I will try to get it to you. Thanks.

Jun 29, 2018

I've done more research and I'm thinking of getting Ryzen 7 1800x and a B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard.Would this be a good decision? I feel like it's almost close enough to be the same for a lower price.

TRENDING THREADS