Question Things to do first?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hello,

If you buy a new laptop, what are the things that you would do immediately after you unbox the laptop?

How do you check everything is working fine?

I read some people will do a macrium full backup immediately so just in case if there is any problems later you can still restore to the state that you just unbox it, is this step necessary?

Thanks.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

If you buy a new laptop, what are the things that you would do immediately after you unbox the laptop?

I read some people will do a macrium full backup immediately so just in case if there is any problems later you can still restore to the state that you just unbox it, is this step necessary?

Thanks.
A full backup is never a bad idea.
You posted this in the Windows 10 category, but you will probably get Windows 11 on a new laptop.

Reactions: smalltech

Ralston18

Titan
Necessary - yes.

If the backup fails that may be an immediate indication of some problem with the laptop.

No harm in doing a full backup.

Other things:

Read the documentation.

Send in/submit the warranties.

Do nothing for a few days - be careful about updates or changes that you would like to make.

Make changes just one at a time, allowing time (a reboot/restart at least) between changes.

If something does go wrong it may be difficult to identify the source/root cause if you make a bunch of changes.

kanewolf

Titan
Do you guys keep the first full backup (just after unbox) forever until you no longer use the laptop?

How do you check everything is working fine just after you unbox?
If it charges, connects to WIFI (and wired if it has a plug), the screen looks correct and my preferred software runs as expected, I call it good. I don't see a need to scrutinize every detail. Laptops are (unfortunately) "LRUs" -- line replaceable units. When something fails in a laptop, there are very few options besides replacing the entire unit. RAM, storage, and usually battery are fixable. Beyond that, get a new one.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Necessary - yes.

If the backup fails that may be an immediate indication of some problem with the laptop.

No harm in doing a full backup.

Other things:

Read the documentation.

Send in/submit the warranties.

Do nothing for a few days - be careful about updates or changes that you would like to make.

Make changes just one at a time, allowing time (a reboot/restart at least) between changes.

If something does go wrong it may be difficult to identify the source/root cause if you make a bunch of changes.
"Do nothing for a few days" > what does this mean? Do not switch on and do not install software?

"Make changes just one at a time, allowing time (a reboot/restart at least) between changes." > how much time do you wait in between changes? What are the changes? My changes are installing windows updates and installing new software. There are many windows updates and software to install after unbox, in the past I usually do it all at once then I start to use the pc, without even spending time to try if it would crash or work fine in between installations/updates.

USAFRet

Titan
"Do nothing for a few days" > what does this mean? Do not switch on and do not install software?

"Make changes just one at a time, allowing time (a reboot/restart at least) between changes." > how much time do you wait in between changes? What are the changes? My changes are installing windows updates and installing new software. There are many windows updates and software to install after unbox, in the past I usually do it all at once then I start to use the pc, without even spending time to try if it would crash or work fine in between installations/updates.
Windows updates
BIOS updates
Driver updates.

3 individual things, do individually.
After each, verify the system works before doing one of the others.

Then consider installing your desired software.

Ralston18

Titan
As above per @USAFRet

Premise being that it is easier to go back and undo/uninstall the last/single action because you will know what you did.

Versus a whole bunch of mass changes where it can be difficult, at best, to identify potential culprits.

Also helpful to take before and after screenshots to print out for reference purposes - especially with respect to configuration changes.

Keep notes.